Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

And Benson makes three

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Margi, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Maybe. I did look up the definition of insanity yesterday and my picture was right there!
    Reader's digest version:
    I had always planned to bring in a third so Fil would still have a companion when his father passed. Fillion's sister had a litter a year ago, and I thought seriously about getting one of those puppies. Koko and Fillion are so stable, so rock steady, I wanted another from Koko's line.
    The puppy she kept from the litter turned out to be a squirrel in the show ring. She thinks he will grow out of it. He will be 1 yr old next week. Do I still want another and he can be mine as long as she can show/breed him whenever she wants? she asks. Seems like a dream come true!

I had forgotten what living with a highly reactive sheltie was like. Not only is he scared because he's in a strange place, he's just scared of every little noise. He's scared of being outside. He is a sweet boy who loves people and jumps in laps and gives sweet kisses. Lord give me strength and patience to get thru the transition phase. I made a corner bed for him which he will go to. Mostly he has been hiding under the desk at my feet. If you can see the picture, this is one of the rare times he was not pacing and panting.
    https://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a509/mmansker/Bensonfirstday_zps4errkbyu.jpg
    If this link doesn't work I can try another site. Photobucket has been awful lately!

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I feel your pain. My Flurry was the same way when we brought her home. One year is a tough age for changes. He will grow out of it (Flurry did) but it takes time and patience. In our case, it was several months. Just keep doing what you are, giving him space and love and he’ll come around. Good luck with him!

Piper's mom, ghggp and Margi like this.
  3. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    He is beautiful! I think it is more difficult for the third dog to figure out where they fit in than the second dog. They always seem to all figure it out in the end though.

Piper's mom and Margi like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    he does look sweet:yes:
    time- always time- then you'll forget how it was when he first came and it will be like he was always there.......

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    He's so beautiful! Love conquers all right? So love on him and he will flourish. :)

Piper's mom, ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    He is so handsome! We brought Eli home as a just-turned one year old also. He was quite anxious, to the point where he wouldn't eat well, he'd eat a kibble, then walk away from his food, wouldn't eat in his crate at all (which is how he was used to being fed). We just tried to be very patient. They are young, not a lot of life experience, then they suddenly go to a new home with new dogs and new people.... it's a lot for a sensitive dog.

How are your two boys taking to him? Eli ended up latching on (literally and figuratively) to Faith and really looks to her for guidance.

Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    2CA29F28-2A96-4593-BA35-38D396919C69.jpeg View attachment 14434 OMG... he looks exactly like my Liam (11 months old now). Not only that, but he is also exactly the same with fear. I am exasperated as well! I took him to puppy class and beginner obedience too. He is still quite skittish. I have given him the winter off. I feel bad for him as I hate to see a pup so scared. He does love his two brothers. I feel your pain! Hopefully, with time and love they will both understand that the world is a safe place!

Margi, Ann, Calliesmom and 1 other person like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    He's a beautiful boy Margi and I'm certain that with some time and patience he'll come around. He's still young so I'm sure within a week you'll start to see improvements. It's never easy for an adult or pup when they go to a new home but just the fact that you have two other dogs will make it easier on him.

Congratulations of course, I know you've been wanting another one for some time and with the help of your other two dogs he'll transition smoothly and in no time you'll be wondering why you waited so long!

Margi and Calliesmom like this.
  9. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Very handsome chap. He looks comfortable enough in the corner so I'm sure he'll come around.

Margi and Calliesmom like this.
  10. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    He's such a pretty boy. And bless you for taking him on. The scared ones are not always easy. But they love their humans so much when they learn to trust them. And he will. Time and patience. And then a little more patience. And if you ever need it, we can start an "I have a timid dog" support group.

Margi, ghggp, Ann and 1 other person like this.