Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

And Benson makes three

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Margi, Mar 25, 2019.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    We can start "I have a timid dog" support group.β€œ

Great idea!!!

Ann and Calliesmom like this.
  2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    He’s in the perfect place to grow, learn and gain confidence! Congrats on the new addition.

Calliesmom and Margi like this.
  3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Holy cow they are VERY similar! The breeder was frustrated as he wasn't like this early on. She thinks puberty will pass and he will grow out of it. Maybe. I will have him for a year till she tries to show him again probably. I cannot take him to any classes as I have promised not to screw up his show ring training. No teaching sit, only "watch me" and trying to get him to give ears...

You would think so, but so far Koko and Fil have been less than overjoyed! Fil has given me the stink eye more in two days than in 6 years LOLOL
    They have pretty much ignored him. Crossing fingers that will change and they will grow to like each other!

My last pair of shelties I got at this age, were pretty much unsocialized and both highly reactive. I didn't know about this forum back in 2000 (if it was even invented then!) So I did everything wrong and had no one to give me advice from those who had traveled this road! Yah TDA--Timid Dogs Anonymous. It could be a thing!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    2000 is definitely pre-forum. I got Callie in 2006 and while Sheltie Nation daily pix were available then, the forum part came later.
    You can still take a class. instead of sit (if the class is doing sits), do a stand. that's what I did when Jocu was a puppy- he never made it as a show dog and then he exceeded the size limit. Classes are really good for attention and focus which he'd need in the show ring.......
    also if there's a conformation club in your area, you can take him to handling classes- not that you would need to learn how to show him but it could be good for him.

corbinam, ghggp, Margi and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I agree with Calliesmom. I've taken my show dogs to classes and my trainer knows we don't sit, we stand and stack when others sit. She's very understanding about that and it's good for the dogs to gain confidence and get used to being in that kind of environment. If you talk to the instructor and explain your situation, most are great about it.

corbinam, Calliesmom, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I can totally understand the stink eye part! Piper and Riley were none too happy either...especially Piper! Piper was ok with him, just not happy with me!
    Once Finnie was big enough to run and play with him then the fun started. I'm sure that once the transition is over Fil will have a blast with Benson.
    Almost a year later Piper and Finnie are best buds. They sleep together (always cuddling) and play together.

Calliesmom, ghggp and Margi like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My breeder said the same thing. She told me not to push him. I certainly hope he does grow out of it. He is sweet and a kind hearted soul! Beau liked him from the start but Baron is just now starting to play with him after 8 months! So, there is hope!

Margi and Calliesmom like this.