Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

And then we figured it out!!

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Wendy C, May 22, 2020 at 9:38 AM.

1. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Recently Coop has been having problems off and on with his bowel movements....starts solid then ends up a soft slimy mess. Not every day and we have left out different edible items trying to figure out what it could be although there was nothing in his diet. Today on another Sheltie page someone mentioned toxic plants....ding..ding...ding! Cooper does landscaping with a shrub in the back that was put in before he came along. Not that we let him eat it he is always grabbing a leaf or 2 off and eating them. So I Googled Burning Bush and there it was toxic and one of the symptoms was diarrhea! Now we have to teach him absolutely to leave it alone. Wish us luck! There is a lovely list telling indoor, outdoor plants and shrubs etc. Handy to have.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Liam has the EXACT same symptoms! He does not dig or eat plants thank goodness. I did put some green beans and shaved carrots in his food for the past couple of days.
    Can't think that would have caused the loose stool... my other 2 boys do not seem to be effected at all...

3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin seems to eat more plants on his walks. he kinda grabs onto them and gets in a bit before I can pull him away.
    I always assumed it was just grass, but....

Piper's mom, Wendy C and Darren like this.
  4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Fillion is my "cow"boy. He loves to eat grass (which is hard to come by around here!) He snitches a bite every chance he gets. I don't really mind him eating grass but it sure slows down the walks when he thinks he should be able to chow down.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I have potted flowers on my back deck. One is hibiscus which Ruffles loved to snack on until I found out they were posionous. No more hibiscus. Several of mine are grazers...I've gotten those packages of garden fencing and just put that around the ones I don't want them near. You can also use chicken wire but the garden stuff is prettier. Never a dull moment! Glad you found the cause!

Piper's mom, Margi, Wendy C and 2 others like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    We have wired off stuff from our crew also, especially my roses. All of mine will chow down on grass as well.

Piper's mom, Margi, Wendy C and 2 others like this.
  7. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Glad you've figured it out Wendy, hopefully you can put a stop to it all now. Monty is the same and is always taken bites out of plants and flowers :mad1:

Piper's mom and Wendy C like this.
  8. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    When I googled there are so many things on the lists that can harm them it worth taking a look. Lily of the Valley is on the list which we have in the side garden, but he can’t get to that. I will now print the list and carry it with me when I go to the garden center to make choices.

Darren, Piper's mom and Margi like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Maybe try putting chicken wire around it until he knows to leave it be. I have a hydrangea that I put lattice in front of it just to help Finnie avoid grabbing a leaf. He's still got so much puppy in him even at 2 1/2 everything goes in the mouth!
    Good luck

Darren likes this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It honestly becomes a competition between Piper and Finnie as to which one can eat more weeds (no weed killer used here). And if I put my foot over the weeds then Piper gets so mad at me:lol: