Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Angus eater of all

Discussion in 'General Health' started by SheepOfBlue, Nov 23, 2022.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I spilled some uncooked spaghetti and of course Angus ate a bunch. It did not agree with him. I think he had a chunk get stuck in his throat. He is doing better but was gagging all night and even coughed up some blood. So beware of it and give them water (which might make it swell and cause other issues) to soften it should it get stuck. Poor guy was miserable all night.

RikyR and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh no, is he OK this morning? Scary especially after what happened to Sca!!! I know mine would have gobbled up the pasta also.

3. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Poor baby! Oberon's eaten a small amount of dried pasta but didn't seem to have any problems with it. He's also eaten dried lentils (sigh)

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I can see how it could be a problem…perhaps it scratched him going down? A bit of honey could help soothe his throat if it’s still bothering him.
    Mine have eaten the off piece I’ve dropped with no problems.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    hope he's ok- mine have gotten small pieces and didn't seem to have any issues.................

Ron Atkinson and Sharon7 like this.
  6. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    More news when I know, he was spitting blood after the hacking cough. At emergency vet.

RikyR, Piper's mom, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    :( Oh no! Hope he's OK!!!!

Piper's mom, Ann and Ron Atkinson like this.
  8. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    I hope it's not serious,let us know when you find out. Prayers and Best wishes for a good outcome.

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and Ann like this.
  9. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    So let me start the long story with Angus is 'OK' but he is upset with me.

So let's go back in history to last Friday. I had a mouse rampage through my cabinet eating pancake mix, beef bone broth, powdered sugar and more. So I set out glue traps. Took two days but caught two mice and things returned to fine. Fast forward to Tuesday night and the great spaghetti spill. An hour or two later Angus starts to cough. I chalked it up to getting a piece stuck in his throat. Cough continues and he coughs up some blood. Figure raw throat. This afternoon cough is better some but more blood so off we go. Vet did bunch (authorized) including blood (he got poodle chested) and x-ray. He had internal bleeding but no blockage. Red cell count down, platelets down. Vet gave a couple of ideas but the best was rodenticide. What I am guessing is the mice I had so did a neighbor. But the poisoned instead of glue trap. A mouse made it outside and Angus eater of all got him and poisoned. He got 2 shots of vitamin K and I gave him a prednisone. He also got a shot to help his cough. You can tell he is not feeling good. I am supposed to bring him back in 3-5 to test if his clotting has improved. Vet said no immediate danger as the numbers are not that bad but need to be fixed. Oh and she figures the spaghetti is just a coincidence with no impact.

He is snoozing in the kitchen and grumping at me almost to Spitfire level. But he did have his harness on, a car ride, shots, poodle chested all while he is feeling bad. So I am hoping the morning brings a happy Angus ready for lots of petting.

RikyR, Piper's mom, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Wow, what a scare! I’m so glad you got him to the vet…so much harder when you don’t know what they’ve gotten into! Hope he’s better in the morning, pats from us.