Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Annie Laurie: Embracing Dementia

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Chris, Jan 10, 2018.

1. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Thank you for posting this. I have not been lucky enough to have a dog make it to the age of 15 or truly an old senior. I hope Bailey will live long enough that your info will be helpful to me one day.

Annie Laurie is a lucky gal!

Chris likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I bet that is what has kept her going so long... her onery nature!

Chris likes this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Thank you so much for this description and I will save it.
    - I hope, of course, that I will be lucky that Minnie will live a long and good life.
    - I get so warm hearted when I can feel so much love to Annie Laurie in your post, thanks again Chris. :hugs

4. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

I know some silly people think we are crazy for how we accommodate our pups. But they are really missing out on the love and trust that goes with nursing an older dog through life's challenges. Annie Laurie knows how much you love here and how much you are doing for her. Just knowing she is loved, safe, and protected is all the thanks any of us need from our furbabies. They really do give us so much :) I'm getting all weepy!

ghggp and Chris like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well said, Cindy! I could not agree more with your comments! Those people should understand that we are loving, compassionate and caring individuals that know what it takes to be dedicated and understanding of a life from the beginning to the end. It is a known fact that those who love animals make for better people who are compassionate not only animals but people too!

Yes, I also got teary-eyed after losing Mr. Chance last year at 14, Laddie at 13 and Jasmine at 12 this year! This post hits close to my heart having experienced many of the mental and physical declines identified in this post.

I am just so thankful we have this resource to share our lives about our fur-kids!

YES, Annie Laurie is a lucky gal for sure!

RikyR and Chris like this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

I know my older boy isn't as spunky as he used to be (he still has his moments),but there is something comforting at the increased predictability of their behavior. I have to brag; Gavin was taken to work by a friend of mine. She asked to take him and they both had a blast! I don't think I would have gone for that when he was 3 :)

RikyR and Chris like this.