Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Another batch of dogs taken into rescue

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by lasheltie, Aug 31, 2014.

1. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    What is going on lately? I just read that over 90 collies were taken into rescue in the Houston area. Seems an optometrist had bankruptcy proceedings & the dogs were rescued from her property. I can't imagine how overwhelmed the Houston Collie Rescue is right now.

Here is a link to the story. So sad for the dogs. It sounds like they were not being cared for as they should have been. Praying they will have a happy ending to their story.
    http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...d-from-Tomball-home-5723674.php#photo-6793773

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Oh my - what a heartbreaking story. Hope they all find loving caring homes.

3. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    What bothers me the most is that this isn't the first time she's had dogs (51 in 2007!) pulled out of bad conditions on her property. The public - animal control, rescue groups, donors and volunteers - are left holding the bag (and given that this was part of a bankruptcy proceeding, I can't imagine that the Elaine Kmiec is going to have much to contribute to offset these costs).

Not to mention the effect on the dogs themselves, who did nothing to deserve this situation and could do nothing to remedy it.

4. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    These animal hoarding situations make me angry. I can't imagine that there aren't people who are complicit by being aware, however minimally, about what was going on and not blowing the whistle. I know legitimate breeders may not like it - but I really believe there is a need for legislated minimum standards of care and mandatory inspections for anyone who owns more than a set number of dogs. There should also be minimum fines for anyone who can be shown to have been aware of animal abuse and not made a report.

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Unfortunately this is way too close for comfort for me.. less than a 30 minute drive from my house. I'm just appalled. Houston Sheltie Sanctuary has stepped up to help the Houston Collie Rescue, so that's great to hear! HSS has posted several pictures on their facebook page. Of course, Houston Collie Rescue is going to need serious donations. They were expecting 35 dogs! With as bad as this situation is, it looks like most of the dogs are smooth coats. Definitely not all because I've seen some rough coats in pictures, but it looks like a good majority are smooth. So that's good because that means there won't be a serious need for grooming other than getting them cleaned up. I think I would have to volunteer my time if there were 90+ rough coats!

I can't believe this is the second (possibly 3rd since they said 2006 and 2007?) time this woman has been found to have dogs in these conditions. People like that don't deserve animals.. and I'm sure it's a mental health issue, but seriously... these dogs did nothing to deserve that.

6. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    I'm following it through updates with Austin Sheltie and it looks like some of the rough are so matted they are shaving them. What's heartbreaking for me is that it seems like they are still so friendly despite the bad conditions they've lived in.

7. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think it's like how part of recovery from alcoholism is acknowledging that you have no power over your disease, and you are someone who can't have another drink ever again without risking your health and the health of your loved ones. Some people can't own another animal, for the same reasons.

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    How in the world are they going to find THAT many homes? Gosh.