Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Another Gallbladder Casualty

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Ann, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    A friend of mine lost her Sheltie this week to gallbladder mucoceles. Piper was only 8 years old. She was fine in the morning, ate her breakfast, played, and was completely normal until mid-afternoon when she began vomiting. Not much at first, but as the night went on she got worse. Her owner rushed her to the emergency vet during the night, but it was too late. She passed before morning.

I know I've posted about this before, since several of my dogs have had gallbladder issues, but Shelties are a breed prone to this issue so please....PLEASE Sheltie peeps, screen your dogs via ultrasound after age 5! It's a simple test and not terribly expensive. If Piper had been scanned, it would have been detected earlier and saved her life. If sludge is detected on ultrasound, your vet will do more frequent checks. If they're normal, we scan once a year after age 5. My friend is heartbroken. I am heartbroken that she didn't know.

Caro and KarenCurtis like this.
  2. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    OMG!! How sad!!! Thanks for your post

Ann likes this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    So sad....

Ann likes this.
  4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Sad. And scary because so few vets know to recommend it!

Per Ann's recommendation all of my older guys were screened last year.

Ann likes this.
  5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I am so sorry for your friends loss. I too lost our 1st Sheltie to a mucocele.

Ann likes this.
  6. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu turns 5 next month. Marked my calendar so I do not forget. I would have know about this without this forum.

Ann likes this.
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Just breaks my heart. Even though I got the ultrasounds for mucoceles, Deska's gallbladder burst 6weeks later (not from mucoceles tho). I will never forget seeing him shivering from the peritonitis pain at the end, makes me cry to hear of another dog going through this pain. I was going to try to avoid reading the thread, probably should have, now I'll be crying all afternoon:cry::cry: