Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Another med not for Shelties

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by elaine2004, Mar 14, 2008.

1. elaine2004

elaine2004 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008
    Landaff, NH
  2. tehluhlah

tehluhlah Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Thats good to know!

I wasn't aware that Apollo (miniature Aussie) has as high a risk as Smoke the Sheltie of having the mutated MDR1 gene.

I think I'll ask my vet if they have some of those tests for the gene. Then I can know for sure and not have to worry (as much :wink2: )

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Most of the herding breeds have the same weaknesses about ivermectin and other meds. definitely be careful with any of them

4. joeysmom

joeysmom Forums Novice

Apr 9, 2008
    queens, n.y.
    MDR1 testing

hi im new to the board but wanted to add something if i may. i have a 2 year old sheltie/collie mix and was sent the MDR1 article through sheltie nation a few weeks ago. In reading it I realized my Joey was on an Ace drug for seperation anxiety. Vet never mentioned to me that Joey could be sensative to this med. I decided to have him tested on my own. Thank God he is Normal/Normal :biggrin2: I have decided to change vets. and keep him off this pill and work harder on his anxiety issues.
    My breeder gave her niece a puppy for Christmas, and just a few weeks ago, the vet gave the puppy Frontline flea and tick meds. The puppy died the next day after the application. Very sad ! :no:
    thanks for reading,
    kathy aka... joeys mom

5. elaine2004

Feb 25, 2008
    Landaff, NH
    Welcome Joeys Mom, aka ( Kathy )

I know it's bad when we have to make sure we are up to date on meds and procedures that concern our furkids. Because it seems to be occuring much too frequently that Our vets don't seem to be up to date.:cry: As I have said prior , it is harder to find a good vet than a Physician for myself.:(

6. joeysmom

joeysmom Forums Novice

Apr 9, 2008
    queens, n.y.
    Hi Elaine, your'e right its very hard to find a good vet. Its scary that they dont seem to be aware of everything that can go wrong. I read somewhere awhile ago, that you shouldnt brush a collies teeth, because their enamel is too thin and can cause infections through their bloodstream. Ailea's Angels has the story posted. I've asked my vet and they thought i was crazy. I still dont brush Joeys teeth, I found drops to remove the plaque and tarter. drops go right into their water. Seems to help prevent build up, but he's due for a dental anyway soon. We start his new vet next week. Hopefully it goes well..... :uhoh:

7. elaine2004

Feb 25, 2008
    Landaff, NH
    Kathy, best of luck with your new vet.I'm sure things will work out if you have any concerns or questions your in the right place someone here can help .:yes:Or at least set you in the right direction. With this amount of people owned by Shelties, we are bound to come up with the right suggestion/ direction.:lol::wink2:

8. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    adverse reactions

So sorry for your loss. I've lost two shelties to illness but my sister told me the greatest compliment to the one I lost Nov/09 would be to get another one, which I did two weeks later.

I'm new to the forum but wanted to comment. I took my six-month old sheltie to be spayed but because the vet was concerned about a heart murmur that she is now almost outgrown, she was given hydromorphone, which really sedated her. I did have her tested for the MDR1 gene through a new vet and she is normal/normal. We need to watch for the pre-anesthetic sedative that are given. Even the senior vet, who I had dealt with for nine years with my other sheltie, couldn't explain it. Also, watch for the non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. My previous sheltie was put on one for a week and then had severe upper gastrointestinal bleed and died suddenly.

9. Noneeds4me

Noneeds4me Forums Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2009
    Southern California
    I too am SO sorry...!

I know it's been posted before, but here is the link to where you can order a test kit for MDR1. It's inexpensive, and if I can do it.., anybody can do it..;-).. It is a simple swab test in the cheek.

I have noticed that some of the breeders here in the So. Cal. area are now testing for MDR1 on their pups and including it along with OFA, etc.. That makes me happy to see this.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/test.aspx

If the link doesn't work, just type it in..

10. Noneeds4me

Noneeds4me Forums Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2009
    Southern California
    I've never heard of anything like that. Does it apply to shelties?