Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Another Pit Bull Attack

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Ann, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    This is the second story I've heard in 24 hours of an unprovoked pit bull attack on a Sheltie. I am so sick of hearing how loving and sweet this breed can be. It's too late when it's your dog, or your child. We don't know yet if this poor little dog will make it, and the attack dog is still free.

Another tiny (11 pound, 11 years old) sheltie was attacked by a pit bull in michigan. She never even barked at the dog, who, was running loose. It is a wonder it didn't attack the little dog's owner when they beat on it to release her. She was rushed to an emergency hospital in lansing, and is still in surgery. These owners are facing huge vet bills and very possibly the loss of their beloved sheltie and the dog is still at large. Who owns it ? I don't know the answer but this is happening too much. SO many of these dogs are in the wrong hands. People are being killed by the dogs they got from rescue too...so many that were not socialized or abused. It is tragic on both ends, but, especially for the innocent children and those dogs that are harmless who pay the price for dogs that were bred to fight and kill and have the jaws to prove it. Yet responsible breeders of purebred dogs are criticized and people looking for a rescue dog are pushed and encouraged to "rescue a pit bull or pit bull mix."

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's so scary....I can't imagine what I'd do. I had a situation where I was walking my dogs (on leash) when I saw a man approaching me with a large dog so I put both dogs in a sit stay so he could pass. As he got closer I realized that his dog was off leash as it ran up to my dogs...scared the **** out of me as I tried to put my dogs behind me and use my free hand to keep this dog away. He had zero control, his dog just wanted to say hi (but in a very rude way!) and boy did I give that idiot ****! It could've been much worse. Thing is it can happen anywhere out of nowhere. I'm going to start carrying a stick.

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    What amazes me is the volume of Pit Bulls in rescues here in Michigan! If you look at Petfinder there are 90% pits vs any other breeds! With statistics like that I am shocked there are not more attacks!

Mind you, I understand it is not necessarily the breed that is bad but the owners!

When these dogs get loose and they are not properly socialized it is like a loaded gun being left on the street where anyone could get hurt or worse yet, die!

Carry a big stick is probably not a bad idea! I am glad there are not any pits where I live. But, the city next to me had an elderly lady was just out for a walk and while she was walking a pit charged out of his gate in the backyard and grabbed her calf and took a chunk out of her leg before someone rescued her by beating the dog off her! She was on the ground and God knows what might have happened to her had someone not intervened!
    I hope the poor little Sheltie makes it. The whole situation is so sad!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I carry pepper spray and an air horn. Biggie the pit bull is one toe hold away from getting over the neighbor's wall. I have spoken to the owner to alert her. She waved it off! Said he only did that when we walked by, he was a very sweet dog that loved everyone. I told her I wasn't worried about myself but scared for the boys and could she say with certainty Biggie wouldn't attack THEM. She had no response to that.
    Like Ann I'm sick of the "oh they get such a bad rap" "its the owners fault not the dog" spiel. Just google dog bite stats--the percentage of bully breed bites is far above all others.

Ann likes this.
  5. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Not a pitt bull defender or a defender of aggressive dogs in general. My one sheltie rescue fail was due to the rescue's failure to disclose the dog was very aggressive so I start from that perspective.

That being said the underlying factors with most of these stories is the owners who fail to understand the needs of the dog and how to protect both the dog and those who live in and around it.

I won't speak for farmers and those who have working dogs in rural areas but for those of us in suburbia there are leash laws for a reason. No dogs should be allowed to run free it violates your neighbors personal property and creates dangers for those you are supposed to be living in harmony with as your neighbors. If you want a free range dog, move into an area where you own enough land that your dog can roam on your property.

There are 3 basic elements to these attack stories. Dogs running free, dogs who's owners can't control their dogs on leash, and dogs who are fenced in areas that aren't appropriate for size and strength of dog and they get out terrorizing their neighbors. Who is responsible for all these issues, clearly the owners. There is a responsibility of all owners to have their dogs under control. You shouldn't be afraid of free range dogs or fearing for your life when some moron is out walking their dog and it attacks you. That comes from people who just shouldn't own dogs. The fencing issue can be more complicated. We had some problem children living next door and we replaced our chain link fence which was fine for confinement but the kids were throwing things at the dogs. The town would only let us put up a 6ft fence. Believe me I'd have paid for 8 to keep the dogs safe, but it wasn't legal. Some people however, get animals that need more than they can afford to provide and they put others at risk. I've seen dogs in this area with fencing that would work for a small dog, but clearly isn't big enough for their big dog that wants out badly. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

The high number of Pitt Bulls in rescue again comes back to owners with no personal responsiblity. There is a huge attitude about intact male pitts. The odds these dogs are going to be creating more unwanted little Pitts and mixed Pitts that end up in rescue is high. The only upside to them being in rescue is they get fixed.

One thing I've never understood about Pitts and kids is not understanding that supervision is critical with dogs and kids. Not all dogs or kids are saints. The difference with Pitts is the damage that can be done before you can stop them is higher and thus they require more monitoring. You can't be stupid and think it will never happen to me. Those are the morons with dead kids.

As for the rescues they are part of the problem. I am a huge supporter of rescue, but we need to stop the guilt and pushing unqualified people to take on dogs that aren't right for their families or needs. My Mom has had schnauzers since I was a little girl. When her last one died she was talked into going rescue. Great idea. She's a senior an older dog wouldn't be a bad idea. There are plenty of sweet dogs needing a home. Instead they guilted her into taking on a monster dog with all kinds of behavior and medical issues because if she didn't take her she'd never get a home. My Mom can't board her at any place other than the Vet's do to her aggression issues. Taking her on a walk is a nightmare, but my Mom is feels like its her fault the dog isn't like her other dogs. No its the morons that guilted her into taking this monster when I'm sure they had other dogs that would have been more appropriate for a senior citizen looking for a companion.

What I find interesting around here are the synonyms they use to avoid using the word Pitt Bull in their descriptions. While most knowledgeable people aren't fooled, I'm sure some people still get suckered into taking on a dog not knowing anything about what they are getting.

Katy will be turning 10 in June and we will likely be thinking about adding a 3rd dog at some point to our home so when we do lose her Annie won't be alone. I don't want to go through what we went through with Katy when Bailey passed. If we can work with Sheltie Rescue, great. If we need to go back to a breeder to find another adult, I'm OK with that too. What I won't be guilted into is taking a dog that doesn't work for our family.

RikyR, Ann, Caro and 1 other person like this.
  6. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I think you said it all well. The fact is every breed has its idiosyncrasies. Pit bulls have their own. They were bred to be loyal to people and not so loyal to other creatures. Good owners are knowledgable, warned, and take care. In my town a Brichon was recently mauled to death by 2 pits that got loose from their owner when the Bichon ran out of its house. This is not the first incident with these two pits, and they were not taken away because the Bichon was not under owner control. Well, neither were the pits; something its owner does not yet get. This has caused something of a local outrage and people have been complaining.

I too am shocked that about all that is in rescues around me are pits. I keep wondering if these aren't revolving door dogs. Maybe simply the intact pits don't get into rescue soon enough. Whatever, you need to really know dogs to own one. Personally I have known a very sweet pit, but I wouldn't even take one on because I am simply not equipped to own a pit.

I have walked in a local park and had all sorts of dogs who are off leash come running up to Beau, so far nothing has happened and Beau loves dogs so it helps. But I am working with local authorities on actually carrying through and imposing penalities on off-leash dogs. We have leash laws, they are there for a reason. Like any sensible law they should be obeyed. Before another terrible incident occurs. The same thing with owner responsibility. End of rant.

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    My first reaction when I see a bigger dog charging my way is to pick up both Cleo and Relic. I have had this happen a few times as a person in my neighborhood kept letting his big black lab out with him in the non- fenced in front yard. He would be in the garage and the second we got close enough for him to hear us he would charge out to say hi. He wasn't coming at us to attack us but the look of panic on my dogs faces were enough for me to make sure when I go by there now I am ready to pick them up just in case. So it has essentially become a habit and a good habit at that. Now when I see a stray running around my first reaction is to just pick them both up until the other dog is no longer in site.

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Nellie is doing much better today.

Ann likes this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Is there a website to follow on this poor little Shelties recovery process?

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Facebook, on The Wonderful Sheltie: Robbie and Friends