Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Anyone Allergic to Shelties?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Wagonracer, Mar 19, 2009.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

btw - I find myself allergic to some dog shampoos! (It may be perfume???)

My breeder recommends an oatmeal based shampoo. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

2. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I'm allergic to dogs. I cant' recall what my levels were, but I can check if you'd like me to. I'm not as bad as my brother, who if he touches a dog, will break out in hives. However, I was sooooo allergic to Miko (my older Sheltie) when we brought him home. I was soooo stuffed up, if I swallowed, my ears would pop. It was sooooo bad, that I was waking up in the middle of the night suffocating. And then, 2.5 weeks later, I grew a tolerance to him and BAM, I can lie with my face in his fur and no issues whatsoever.

When Miko was about 2, I bought a cat. The cat gave me asthma. When I got Koji (he's almost 2 now), my asthma acted up, not so much my allergies (sneezing, sniffling, eyes swelling up, etc.). I think it went straight to allergy induce asthma. But my asthma isn't bad, I just couldn't breathe very well. Advair took care of that. I was like that for about a year or so. Not sure why it took longer for me to gain a tolerance to him. Now, I'm fine.

I believe, w/o checking, my allergy test put me up in the high 20s for both dogs and cats. I'm the type of person that can play with a dog, and as long as I don't touch my face with my hands, or the dog touches my face, I'll be okay. Once I touch my face, it's all over.

Is there anyone you know that has Shelties? Can you test your DD that way? I'd also suggest doing it near a hospital, JIC. You never know. I know a guy asked on Craigslist to meet some Shelties, to check out the breed, so I'm sure it wouldn't be overly strange. Also, she could gain a tolerance, but that's a chance you may not want to take. I didn't realize I'd be so allergic (having dogs all my life, playing with dogs all the time, etc). But I was. And I've gained tolerance to my dogs.

Just some thoughts from someone who, yes, IS allergic to dogs, including her own Shelties. lol. Heck, I told my doc, give me some meds (for my asthma), cuz the dog ain't going anywhere.

good luck.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    It's pollen season here in old Virginny. When the girls have been playing outside, they return with pollen-inpregnated fur. So when we take deep breaths of sweet Sheltie scent--- Achoo! snort! Cough! :lol: