Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Anyone Try Primal Freeze Dried?

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by HikerDog, Jan 6, 2020.

1. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2019
    Hey everyone! Toby has been eating and doing pretty well on Orijen Puppy with a combination of oatmeal, pumpkin, and sometimes boiled chicken or liver or whatever we have. He is going on 7months and we are starting to think of his overall diet as an adult.

We have always wanted to try feeding him as close to a natural diet as possible with our combined personal experiences. Both my childhood dogs dies of stomach cancer, my sister's french bulldog has a chicken allergy, and my mom's shepherd mix has such an extreme food allergy to (we don't even know what) that he'll lick all the fur off his legs within a day if he eats the wrong thing.

We have a friend who does protection dog competitions and feeds her dog a completely raw diet. We have also been hearing good things about it in general. In addition, our new cat had a pretty bad digestive reaction to the Merrick Kitten Kibble we were giving her (it seemed a solid quality and was grain-free) that the only thing she can eat right now without having diarrhea is boiled chicken.

We got her Primal Freeze Dried Raw and are going to transition her to it because the chicken helps so much. We were thinking about doing the same for Toby since the quality seems incredibly high. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this food?

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    No experience with primal, but I do have have experience with freeze dried raw. I feed my dog Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw. Have been using it for about 6+ years now. She's had numerous health issues that I believe would be even worse if she ate different food.

For me, the only downside to commercial raw food is the cost. If I had more than 1 dog, I would not be able to afford it. It currently costs about $30 a week to feed my 14 lb sheltie.

corbinam and HikerDog like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I have also never fed Primal but I have been feeding my dogs a raw diet now for about 4 years for Piper and Finnie since a pup. I recently decided to change it up a bit and feed one meal of Smack (a VERY good dehydrated raw food) and one meal of raw. I think if it works for Toby and the quality is good go with it. You can supplement with the odd raw (or cooked) meal whenever you want

HikerDog likes this.
  4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    If you live anywhere near a Blue Ridge Beef distributor, I was pretty happy with their products. I bought the sampler box and the boys seem to like the different meats and mixes.

HikerDog likes this.
  5. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Primal is good food, but has high fat content. Take a look a Nulo freeze dried raw. A couple of their recopies have no legumes and acceptable fat levels. Zulu loves it.

HikerDog likes this.
  6. HikerDog

Jan 28, 2019
    It is pretty expensive - but our cat had a positive tummy improvement switching from kibble to 1/2 canned and 1/2 Primal Freeze Dried - within a matter of hours, her diarrhea stopped! It doesn't help though that compared to canned cat food, its just as affordable.

We were thinking we could probably afford half kibble and half freeze dried raw for now. Or if we continue to give him oatmeal, pumpkin, and maybe an egg every day we can cut down on a couple of the nuggets he would have to eat daily.

7. HikerDog

Jan 28, 2019
    Oddly enough, they make a frozen raw that is more affordable. I would assume that it's because the process of dehydration is pretty time consuming and/or expensive. We thought to transition him from kibble to a freeze dried raw and if it goes well, perhaps from there to full frozen raw.

8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I used Primal Raw frozen for Enzo for a while. I used it in combination with a grain-inclusive kibble to help him gain weight (he’s so active it’s hard to keep weight on him).
    Agreed that the negative is the cost.

HikerDog likes this.