Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Apparently, I'm a follower of the popular...

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by GlennR, Jun 10, 2021 at 2:20 PM.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    It never occurred to me that I was following some sort of trend with my dog selections but after looking over Canada's top ten dogs by popularity I have to admit it seems I am.

Canada's Canadian Kennel Club top ten for 2021
    1. Lab
    2. Golden
    3. German Shepherd
    4. Standard Poodle
    5. French Bulldog
    6. Sheltie
    7. Australian Shepherd
    8. Havanese
    9. Bernese
    10. Cavalier King Charles
    I've had the privilege to have in my family a German Shepherd, two Standard Poodles, one Sheltie, and one Australian Shepherd.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I imagine our top two are the same here, but I bet Shelties are NOT in the top 10. Australian Shepherds are very popular here, also the mini Aussies which I think are now called (confusingly) American Shepherds. Every other dog it seems is a dang doodle! I just don't get that trend - thousands of dollars for what is essentially a mutt, and no guarantee it is hypoallergenic.... why don't you just get a poodle????

3. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Shelties aren't in our list either in Colorado. We have the "usual suspects" of Labs and Retrievers. Then German Shepherds, Beagles, French Bulldogs, Bulldogs, Poodles, Rottweilers, German Shorthaired Pointers, and Yorkshire Terriers. However, two of our cities have recently lifted the "Pitbull" bans so I'm sure those'll soon be on the list ...

4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Sharon7, Calliesmom, RikyR and 2 others like this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    :eek2: Cane Corso over Shelties???? Hard for me to believe - I sure don't see them around here. The newest craze is Bernadoodles.....

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Both Bernadoodles and Goldendoodles are huge here. Like all Hybrids I worry if they don’t turn out the way the breeder is hoping where do they end up? It’s a trend like Pugles and Jugs and they seem to blow over. I have had a German Shepherd and a Golden and loved them, all have different personalities, but in some things Cooper is much more clever not always in good things lol

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I too am struck by the huge amount of money people will pay for a mutt. Oh well, it's their money...or rather it was LOL

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I had a Newfounderland x Poodle in my obedience class. That has to be one of the most stupid mixes I have ever seen. The 'breeder' advertised them as the only ones in Australia - so of course charged a huge amount for it.

It is a huge dog heavy, like a Newfie, but bounces around like a Standard Poodle. The owner cannot walk it and I can see the dog will have a life time of joint issues. It is too heavy to have the poodle energy (poodles are a very light framed dog), it still drools - something a poodle coat is not designed for, and it was dumb as dishwater. It was just plain cruel to knowingly do that to a dog. Coincidentally, the vet nurse at the ER where Tully is a regular said the dam had trouble giving birth, required a transfusion and caesarian, which hopefully means they'll never breed that mix again..

9. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019

Caro believe it or not the funniest mix I ever saw was a Sheltie / Dachshund. It wasn’t a long haired Dachshund...definitely a Sheltie, but this very long body and tiny legs. Accidental breeding maybe, couldn’t see a benefit otherwise. Not a cute dog lol

KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  10. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I had two brothers English Setters. Two shelties and now a Australian Shepard. All were
    a joy.

Attached Files:

KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.