Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Are you making your dog neurotic?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Caro, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Interesting research from Sweden showing the stress levels in owners mirror stress levels in their dogs.

The study looked at 33 Shelties and 25 Border Collies and their owners over a year period. Participants completed a personality questionnaire and then the cortisol (HCC) level in the hair and fur were tested over the year.

The research showed the dogs' HCC rose and fell in unison with their owners' and the overall change was independent of the dog's activity levels. However, dogs and humans who do dog sports/training together showed greater correlation, indicating a stronger bond. Interestingly, the findings were more pronounced in females than in males: boys are more responsive to fun but it's the girls that really care! Also Shelties had higher cortisol levels in winter so seem to be more affected by weather than BC. Lots of interesting tidbits in the research anyway if you read though.

So my friends were right - I did turn Deska neurotic.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-43851-x

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Sunflower77 and Sandy in CT like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Which is why intuitively, I tried my hardest not to break down in tears in front of Brooke, as badly as I wanted to just hang onto her and bawl some days. I knew it wasn't fair to upset her like that.

Very interesting study.

3. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    This article was just in my local paper today. Very interesting read. I believe this 100%. Shelby is definitely in tune with our feelings and mood.

ghggp likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    It is so hard when they are near end of life and your emotional reserves are in short supply to cope with the reality before you. I was not as strong as you were. I wish I could have been.

Sharon7 likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks for the post Caro! You always find the best and most interesting in-depth information!

Sharon7 likes this.