Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Arrrgh! those darn Sheltie teeth!

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Sharon7, Dec 6, 2018 at 6:50 PM.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I need to leave soon to pick up Brooke and Faith from the vet, they had dental procedures today. Brooke has had bad teeth as long as we've had her, she's lost almost all of them except her canines and some molars. She just gets gum disease really badly even though we brush their teeth. Also, some of her roots became calcified. Oy vey. She goes in every 9 months for a dental. Can you say cha ching? :rolleyes2:

Faith's teeth (she's 6) have looked great so far, and this is her first dental. Our vet calls and sadly tells us she has a dead incisor (the little front teeth) and two others are loose and need to come out. !!!!!! :mad1:
    Luckily that's the only place in her mouth with evidence of gum recession. Good grief. I'm sure the bill will be about $1400 for both.

Shelties are known for bad teeth, along with poodles and dachshunds. I always feel so bad when they lose teeth. Can't do much except keep brushing. I did buy a dental scaling tool and I use that to scrape a little along the gum line once in a while.

I'd sure love to have a Sheltie who kept ALL their teeth for their lifetime!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I am sorry. I have heard long nosed dogs have trouble with teeth because the saliva doesn't reach the front of their mouths.

That said, my dogs got their first dental clean last year at 10 (Tully had one wobbly little tooth and Deska a cracked by ok to keep molar), then I just got another dental this October. They lasted all their lives until my mum got them and then they needed another after a year. So except for Tully's little wobbly tooth they are 11 and 12 years and have all their teeth.

I do think diet has a lot to do with it. Mine have gotten lamb shank bones once a week since they were puppies (actually more when younger - until shanks got trendy and expensive). They also have chewy meat regularly in their meal (eg gravy beef). And even though I brush their teeth when I remember, it doesn't seem to clean their breath. The only thing that gives them that fresh clean is chewing on meat or gnawing a meaty bone (forget the chicken necks they do nothing). None of that happened with my mum, even the steak I cooked and froze she cut into tiny pieces. Instead she gave them greenies, and obviously that didn't work.

KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I bought Petsmile toothpaste after Fillions dental at 5...it makes a big difference. Actually works. Expensive though!!!

KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I also use Petsmike and it does work.
    ...I also do dental visits yearly! I just used these treats and they do help their breath... VetIQ Minties Dental Tiny/Small Dog Treats

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 6:20 AM
    KarenCurtis likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I scale mine's teeth at home -- really helps!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Apparently, the bone at the front of Faith's jaw is just very thin.... gum recession meant nothing to hold the teeth in. We do brush them, and TG the the rest of her teeth are absolutely fine. She now looks like a beaver with the top two small teeth intact, but missing the ones either side....:rolleyes2:

7. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm is 9 and lost one tooth, he's had two dental cleanings and my husband brushes his teeth regularly. Fingers crossed! I'm sorry you had to go through that with your dogs losing teeth

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have been trying with mine without too much success... they will let me brush their teeth, but are not fond of the scale tool!

9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Yea Shelties have badddd teeth. Bailey has had 3 dentals already and has an infected tooth, which had to be pulled. Her teeth are bad, despite brushing and a water additive. Definitely keep a look out for a swollen face. All my family and friends thought I was crazy when I thought Bailey's face looked swollen. I took her to the vet the next day and turned out she had a badly infected molar. Mother knows best!

KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.