Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Arthritis

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by RikyR, Sep 25, 2021.

1. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu has been diagnosed with arthritis in his left hip. I noticed a few weeks ago that he was having trouble getting comfortable when laying down. He used to spend most of the day laying on the floor next to me while I worked. He started spending more time on the couch, so I put one of his beds in my office, and he would lay on that. Several mornings ago, he had a noticeable limp getting out of his bed. After he moved around a bit, he seemed to loosen up. The limp was mostly noticed after he had laid down for some time. Took him to the animal hospital, the vet worked his joints, Zulu did not react negatively to any of the tests. But the x-rays revealed a slight gap in his left hip. Vet says it is in early stage, so we should be able to manage it with drug therapy, exercise, and losing a few pounds (he is 28 lbs.). She prescribed 25mg Carprofen, and gave him an injection of Adequan. He will get 4 weekly injections, then monthly for 6 months. Three days have passed since the first injection, and have not noticed any limping. He had a good walk this morning, and is currently outside barking his head off at our neighbor repairing his fence. Hopefully, by catching it early, we will be able to slow the progression, and he can enjoy his senior years.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Dang it! I'm sorry to hear this about Zulu. When Brooke was diagnosed with a bone spur and arthritis in her elbow, we tried high dose fish oil first, with only slight improvement. The Adequan did not seem to help her. But what really, really helped is the green lipped mussel supplement. It is Omega 3's in concentrated form, a powder that you sprinkle on their food. It is not expensive. You must make sure you get a variety that is COLD processed (heating the mussels to extract the tissue results in it killing off the good stuff). I get Super Snouts joint powder from Chewy. I did a loading dose for about 3 weeks, twice the recommended amount (goes by weight). The improvement was amazing. Then cut back to once daily.

Did not need the NSAIDS.

It worked so well, and I was having such trouble with my knees and hands, that I tried the human variety and IT WORKS.

Ron Atkinson, Darren, ghggp and 5 others like this.
  3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Riky, this is never a dx we want for a doggie we love, but like in humans it is very common as they age. It sounds like you are doing all the right things for Zulu. Although you are not up north where winters can get brutally cold, but Zula might benefit from lying on a heating pad on low for the coldest nights you might get. Heat seems to bring some comfort.
    Trini

4. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Thanks Sharon, I will give it a try. When I first noticed he was having difficulty laying down, I put him on Nature's Farmacy Phyto-flex. It has the green lipped mussel, but I need to see if it is cold processed.
    So far, I have not given him the Carprofen. He is not showing that he is in any pain. I know they can be stoic, so I am keeping a close eye on him. He has a bad left hip, and I have a bad left knee, so I am going definitely try the human version!

Darren, Ann, ghggp and 5 others like this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    The human one I got is called GLX-3 and you can get it at Amazon. I hope it helps you.

Ron Atkinson, Darren, RikyR and 5 others like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I’m so sorry to hear this! As Sharon mentioned the green lipped mussel I can attest to it as well! Used it on Piper when he’d hurt his shoulder and the improvement was amazing. I now give it to all 3 on a daily basis as a preventative as it’s all natural with omega 3’s, glucosamine and chondroitin. I definitely need to get some for myself...nice to hear feedback that it worked for you Sharon!

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I use Nature's Farmacy Phtyo Flex for my seniors too and I do think it helps. I've tried several varieties and this one seems to be the best for my group.

Years ago, when my Pixie was having a tough time with arthritis, my holistic vet recommended a line of dog beds called Back on Track. They make people products too and have therapeutic properties woven into the products. I got a crate-type mat for Pixie that really did seem to help ease her joints. You have to introduce them gradually to laying on them, they're that strong, but it might be worth looking into them for Zulu. Click on the name above for more information.

8. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    I am so sorry to hear about poor Zulu! But I must say veterinarian care has come leaps and bounds. I grew up with a Sheltie (Charlie) who left us 45 years ago. For the last 5 or so years of his life (he was 13 when he left) he had arthritis and the best the vet could tell us was to not rush him to do anything and to be gentle with him, especially on walks. No medication, no herbs.

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sorry to hear Zulu has the onset of arthritis! Good you got him to the vet as soon as you noticed his limping! Having an extra bed for him in your workroom is a good idea especially if you can add the liner Ann suggested. More great suggestions on Super Snouts joint powder from Chew! Think I will get some too! Good luck! Keep us posted! A big bear hug for Zulu from me!

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    After reading this thread I got online and checked my Dogzymes PhytoFlex jar to compare it to Sharon's Super Snouts. Imagine my surprise to see that Natures Farmacy has changed the fomula of PhytoFlex and it's got much less glucosamine in it now than it used to, and the green lipped musslels are at the very bottom of the ingredients list! The first ingredient is kelp now. :confused2: Lots of comments complaining about the change too. I have an unopened jar, ugh, but I ordered a jar of Super Snouts from Chewy and I'm going to switch. I love Natures Farmacy products but this is disappointing!

Piper's mom, Darren, RikyR and 4 others like this.