Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bacca won't play!

Discussion in 'Toys' started by BarbV, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Diana

Diana Forums Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I know this is hard. But please remember that Bacca is in the very best home he could be in right now. Can you imagine if he wasn't with a loving owner like you who has done everything for him, struggled to attend to his every need, and has a determination to get to the bottom of what is wrong with him?

There are so many other dogs with or without health issues that deserve more worry. Bacca will be just fine—because he has you.

Some of his lack of play issues might be health related, but some of it might just be that he doesn't like to play all that much. You know, just his Eeyore personality.

He's not going to be Indy. He might not be exactly what you envisioned when you got him or when you see him in motion.

But he is a beautiful and sweet dog in his own right and maybe you just need to accept that this is how he is.

And along with that, keep working with qualified vets (and others) to make sure he is getting the very best care possible and his health issues are addressed.

It might help to think of this like caring for someone with a terminal illness or a kid with special needs. Your expectations need to change and maybe you just need to enjoy the little moments where he is in motion and playing instead of always thinking that they need to be more.

Give him lots of love and he will be okay.

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words!

Diana....I think you said it best....I think I've just to face facts that I have a special needs dog. And he may never play ball again.

And because of his special needs, I also need to find a way to deal with Indy's jealousy as I tend to Bacca's needs.

Thanks everyone! I actually feel somewhat better now!

3. DieDany

DieDany Forums Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2012
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    My friend hat a bull terrier with serious heart issues and it really wanted to play but she could't let it :( Maybe it's better that Bacca doesn't want to play by himself. If some situation is not really great I always think it could be even worse. I'm sure you are the best mom he could ever have :hugs

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Deska doesn't play much either - perhaps it does have something to do with living with chronic health issues. But it doesn't mean they don't get enjoyment out of life, the just find it in other ways. Tully actually never plays with other dogs, except if its chasing the ball. When we go to the local oval they have over a dozen dogs to play with, but instead Deska goes from person to person looking for pats and belly rubs. He's happy, he doesn't feel the need to play.

So maybe Bacca's thing isn't toys. Maybe look at what things do make him happy and focus on them.

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Wel its not toys and not treats. Walks, he's kinda ambivalent about. He likes to be close to people, especially me. I can't say he has a bad quality of life, but he rarely gets excited about much. He does perk up when the lawn mower goes, or son leaves the house, or when I turn on my blow dryer....suddenly in those moments he is a like a puppy again!

I dunno.....

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Lol - I swear they are cut from the same cloth, those same things get Deska excited too. It's a bit daggy but Deska goes silly when I sweep the floors so we play a game "kill the broom" where I tell Deska to "get it"and I move the broom all around and he attacks it. Maybe you could play a game of attack the hair dryer (unplugged of course).

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I actually had someone actually suggest to me this week that I should be preparing myself to be putting him down soon. WTF! He's 4 years old and we're still working through the meds. I can't believe she said that to me....and this is a knowledgeable person!

8. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    I am so sorry for you and Bacca. You have given him so much to live for. Bacca is in good hands, he will live on because you are his life line.

Your doing everything you can, and have been all along. (((((BIG :hugs))))

Great Mom Barb!

9. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
  10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this website!

I'm hoping that since Bacca's meds seem to be stabilized again, I can get him to play again. Excellent tips for getting him going again. I do think he's forgotten how to play, and I need to to teach him again.