Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bad gas with wellness puppy food

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Snwong, May 24, 2010.

1. Snwong

Snwong Forums Regular

Apr 15, 2010
    Toronto
    I fed Roy B wellness puppy food for 2 months, and he had horrible gas frequently. Do you guys encouter the same problem?

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I can tell you that my dogs didn't like Wellness either. When we tried Bentley on it he got diarrhea. With Lexi, she gets bad gas/diarrhea with the treats.

I think some dogs do well on certain foods, and some don't.

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    My breeder recommended Eukanuba small breed puppy just for the fact that the puppies don't get gas. she feeds it to all her puppies. Emma has never had any problem with gas. Another one she recommended was the new President's Choice Nutrience First (I think it is called). I tried Emmma on this for a little bit because she wasn't eating the Eukanuba and had no problems with gas. I had to put her back on the Eukanuba because she decided she wanted it and spit out the other food. You can find the Eukanuba in pet stores and possibly Wal-Mart. President Choice is available at Zehrs and possibly the No Frills stores. If Roy B is still getting gas after two months on the food, I would try him on something else, gradually increasing the amount of the new food to the decreasing amount of the Wellness.

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    My non sheltie dogs eat wellness with no issues. Bailey is being transitioned to wellness. She is up to 1/3 cup a day of wellness, mixed with 1/4 cup of her old food. So far, she hasnt had any issues. She was straining when having a bowel movement on her old food. Wellness has helped make her regular and she loves their food.

I have heard of dogs having gas or diarrhea from wellness. Every dog is different.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Years ago when I used Wellness for puppies I had problems with gas and diahrrea, and many other people I know say the same thing. There are lots of other excellent premium puppy foods on the market you can try. Artemis makes a great food, and Innova's puppy food is excellent too, as well as their adult foods.

6. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Ginny had gas when I was transitioning her over to Wellness and a little bit of diarrhea. The diarrhea only lasted approx. 1 day and really wasn't that bad, I just slowed the transitioning so as not to upset her system too much. The gas went away soon after the transitioning was complete. Both of my dogs are doing really great on Wellness and love it.

7. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    I have had no problem with the big D so far on Wellness with either of mine.

8. jerros

jerros Forums Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I just finished Vash's switch over to wellness a week ago. He seems to be doing well on the product.

That said, he doesn't seem to be as intrested in Wellness now that the switch over is complete. He's a very food motivated puppy, and when I give him his food there are times when he will leave the food and want to play with me instead. Eventually I'll have to put him into his play pen and that is when he'll begin eating the food, or if I stick it in a toy for him to play with.

The funny thing is he'd tear a hole in space time to eat a bowl of the old pro plan he was on.

I'm thinking that we'll finish out his puppy years on the wellness just to avoid another abrubt change while he under goes training and his upcomming de-maning. After that I'm probably going to be shopping around for something that's good for him, and something he'll go head over heels to eat.

9. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    If he's just having gas after the switch over I'd say give it a week or two, the gas will go away. I too was concerned about Ginny's gas (she could clear a room), I was worried she might have a parasite, but gave it some time and it went away.

As far as I know, Wellness is a much higher quality food than Pro Plan, which is probably why Vash isn't as interested in it. Its probably like switching from eating fast food daily, to eating healthy, well balanced meals.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm sure Layla would have gas if I fed her roses! How can something so sweet and beautiful smell so awful? :rolleyes2: