Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Baking soda bad for dogs...

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Piper's mom, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Read this on my Facebook feed, I had no idea baking soda was bad for dogs (not that I give to them, but you never know!)

From a breeder here....
    Have to put out this warning. I know many of you use potty boxes for your puppies, we have used mainly Wood burning pellets (Canadian Tire) here in Canada, or Bedding pellets you can buy them at Tractor Supply and Fleet Farms as bedding also. A couple weeks ago, we ran out of pellets, and our local Canadian Tire was closed due to a power outage, so Dale went over finally to a Pet store to buy the Yesterdays news (recycled paper, very dirty and more expensive but NOTHING added to it) The Pet Valu brand is Fresh for Life, of course it is sold in the Kitty Litter area, we never thought any different and bought that brand instead of the yesterdays news. New boxes all fresh with the paper, and all was good, some interested in eating it, i always know puppies have to investigate at first and eat a few pellets, when things change. They run threw it ect, its part of the area. So about 24 hours later i could see one puppy shaking her head, biting at her feet, and crying hard, just out of sorts. I thought that is a really weird thing to happen with 7 week old pups, and tried everything to make her feel better. She was eating, drinking no problem, but very upset about her toes, her head shaking like her ears were sore, and crying constant! I was on the phone with a few vets, you know who you all are : ) . Of course because they were eating and drinking and really still playing, nothing i could do to take them to Emergency to do ???. So we thought maybe a bug bit her or being outside in the humidity? Then second puppy started about 10 hours later, now i was freaking out. The only way i could get them to stop crying was to hold them in bed, seemed to get them some rest if i was holding them. I did give some benedryl finally and realized that calmed them, stopped the itching/biting and decided it had to be a reaction to something but WHAT? I ripped apart my kitchen re cleaned it with just water thinking some chemical reaction, i did all bedding, toys cleaned, i took all the potty box apart and went and bought some wood pallets and sat stumped with 3 Vets on Text all stumped also. I then went back to the bag and realized that it has ONE other ingredient in their brand, they ad BAKING SODA! to their recycled paper. Well if you google and read about reactions to baking soda (thanks Kim Aston), its easy to find that these puppies were reacting to baking soda, either from eating them, or playing in them. I lost about 3 days of my life of worry and no sleep so i am warning you all!! if your not using wood pallets, you need to read the bag of Recycled paper you are buying. Its probably been added for the scent of Cat Urine, but Cats and Dogs are much different in play and what they will eat. I certainly wouldn't use it with kittens either! I really thought this was just my luck until a friend messaged me this morning to say a friend had a litter of puppies who were frothing at the mouth and head shaking and spending night at a clinic due to it. They also had been using the Pellets with Baking Soda added. Not to say the product isn't great for cats, just not for babies of any kind!!!!!! Skip that isle go right to Yesterdays News ( i think is still just paper) or stick to Pallet bedding in the wood form, or even alphalpha i have heard works well too, i just found it stinks. But Please do share if you like, i certainly do not want to see any one else
    suffer, puppies and humans!

And from Arm and Hammer
    Signs of toxicity in dogs
    https://imgur.com/a/OyukcXz

Ann and Wendy C like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Wow, never knew baking soda could hurt dogs! I thought it was good for everything. Thanks for the warning!

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    THANK YOU for this warning. I am so sorry you and your puppies had to go through this. You can always count on Kin for good guidance.