Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bald spot on tail & thinning fur on rear

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by shelbysdaddy, Jul 19, 2019.

1. shelbysdaddy

shelbysdaddy Premium Member

Hi everyone, Shelby is 9 years old, has had 2 litters, we got her when she was 6 from a breeder, and she was spayed when she was about 6.5. She has been eating Blue hydrolyzed salmon and pea protein veterinary diet for the past 2-3 years and I have been giving her Omega Oil (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IS860RI) for a year or two. In the last 6 months or so she has developed a hairless spot in her tail -- the vet thinks it was a hot spot from a bug bite, however it hasn't grown back and it's been about 6 months. There aren't even little hairs there. Also her skin has turned purple/brown over the area and I've also noticed some "age spots" on her fur elsewhere. However it is smooth, not scaly, not flaky, not rough, etc. In addition, the overcoat around her butt seems to be thinning so only the coarse grey hair is showing. Recently her skin everywhere seems to be flaky although she doesn't scratch it that much. The rest of her hair is still lush and healthy.

Thoughts to help it regrow?

Update July 24: sorry I forgot to mention this at first -- her thyroid tests came back normal although it sounds like I should send them to Hemopet. Also, I started giving her Vibrant Pets "Skin & Coat" about a month ago. Here are some pictures (including a face shot so you can meet her):

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    have you had her thyroid tested? I know skin and fur can be the first signs of an issue....other people here know more about it than I.

Ann, Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  3. shelbysdaddy

Oops yes I forgot to mention, I also was worried about hypothyroidism but we did thyroid and chemistry blood tests and the vet said they were normal (although I don't have the numerical values).

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Great idea Cindy, I would concur...Shelties quite often have Thyroid issues. I would also suggest that if you do get her thyroid tested, ask your vet to send it to Hemopet. Hemopet was established by Dr. Jean Dodds, who is an expert in thyroid disease in dogs. Shelties can also be hypoactive even if they test normal (most vets don't realize this), another reason to have the sample tested by Hemopet.

Calliesmom, Sandy in CT and Hanne like this.
  5. shelbysdaddy

I'm pretty sure the vet did not send the blood there. If I get the actual numerical result, could hemopet (or you all) help interpret it for a Sheltie? Or does hemopet need to run the blood in their own lab? If so, we will have to do another blood draw.

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I think Hemopet needs to run the labs themselves however I have heard other members mention emailing Dr.Dodds with the results of your labs (not 100% sure on this) to get her medical opinion. Other members may be able to give you more information.
    Did you get a full thyroid panel done already or just a regular bloodwork?

7. shelbysdaddy

We got the full thyroid panel plus electrolytes. I can get the actual results and ask Dr. Dodds - worth a shot I guess?

Any thoughts about non-thyroid causes of Shelby's issues?

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Hanne and Ann like this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Thanks, Gloria...I just went looking for this article to post it here too! It's important to know that Sheltie readings on thyroid are different from other breeds. I printed this out years ago and took it to my vet. Not all of them are aware of this information, so it might be worth taking to yours too just in case.

Wendy C likes this.
  10. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Thyroid test would've been my suggestion as well. The other condition that causes fur loss and flakey skin is Cushing's Disease. You would also probably notice excessive drinking and urinating.

Wendy C likes this.
  11. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Thanks for the article - I have it saved and will print it for my vet!

Best of luck finding a cause - please keep us posted!