Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bare patch

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Caro, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Does anyone have experience with a noticeable bare patch of fur?

Tully's rear was shaved for an epidural and there is one section that is not growing back at all. I don't know what to do about it as I don't want to leave it bare. It must be cold (it's a cold winter) and it's also liable to get sunburnt.

Don't even know if Sheltie fur (at least on a bitch) lends itself to a comb over, but it ruins what is otherwise a full fluffy coat. If I dared, I'd go to the hairdresser and ask for hair extension. Hmm, are there home kits?

DSC_2944.jpg

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wonder if hair-growing products for humans work on dogs. At the very least, I would apply sunscreen.

2021-06-03_11-55-40.jpg

Piper's mom and Caro like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I know my sister had given her dog a specific krill oil to get her fur to grow longer when she was showing her (a Bichon). Not sure if Tully can have krill oil though with her IBD. I can find out though if you like.

Caro likes this.
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Might be too much. She is on 1800g fish oil tablets, I think that is krill. That was the amount specified by the nutritionist - not sure about adding more because of the pancreatitis. That's why I'm not sure about extra omegas. And funny thing - because we are doing noseworks atm I can't use a coat spot on because it has the essential oils we use.

Last night I accidently touch the bare spot with my cold hand - scared the bejeebers out of her so I guess she does feel the cold on it.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Do you know anyone who knits or crochets? What about a band that goes around her waist and Velcro’s and a little flap that covers the bald spot?

Caro likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Beckon developed a permanent bare patch on his tail. Sheltie Pattern Baldness, anyone?

Caro, Piper's mom and RikyR like this.
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Funny you should say that - I'm learning to crochet on Wednesday.

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Noooo. She's looking so fluffy now she's on a new steroid. But like a big fluffy teddy bear that was tortured by the neighbourhood bully.

Piper's mom likes this.