Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

bathroom issue

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by siding, Sep 4, 2018.

1. siding

siding Forums Novice

Sep 2, 2018
    weeks Hi everyone, My sheltie puppy Simba turned 9 weeks two days ago. we are having a crate for him and some puppy pad inside(also one just outside of the fence). but every morning we found some poop in the fence, so we get him out and clean up. Here is what happened next, he comes around and poop in a random spot and then got back to the pad that we put just outside the fence to pee. I am so confused that he knows where to pee but why has poo everywhere. also he does not pee (only one time in 7days) and no poop outside when we take him to a walk.

2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I recommend getting Dr. Ian Dunbar's book "Before and After Getting Your Puppy". He has a great technique for potty training, along with a lot of other things.

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I agree with Cara, Ian Dunbar's book may help you a lot. It sounds like this is your first puppy? You really cant expect a 9 week old pup to pee and poop on command or to know that they have to go on the puppy pad (when Piper was a puppy I put some puppy pads down...he would lay on them or chew them lol, he didn't know what they were for). The key is being consistent with taking them out to potty frequently and make a BIG deal out of it when they pee or poop outside (give them a treat too...very important). This is what teaches them to go outside but its not going to happen overnight or even in a week. Every puppy is different but I wouldn't expect a puppy to be perfect even at 6 months ( even my boy Finnie at 7 months will pee in the house if I don't catch his cue that he needs to go outside)

RikyR and Hanne like this.
  4. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Piper's mom made a good point. Watch him closely and learn his body language. Zulu would start to walk in circles when it was time. Once I noticed that, I was able to scoop him up and take him outside. It may not happen 100% of the time, but once you learn all his cues, things will get better. One day he will just get it, and he will be housebroken. Zulu still expects a treat after he goes potty - we are so spoiled!

Shelby's mom likes this.