Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Beau's new blue ball--advice on non-popping balls

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Pam, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    OK so one thing Beau plays with without hesitation are BIG balls. He will sometimes chase a basketball but LOVES big beach balls. Problem is he pops them without meaning too. He got a wonderful one covered in cloth for Christmas and loved loved loved it but he must have jumped at just the wrong angle and it popped after about 2 1/2 hour playtimes.
    Anyone know a type of ball to give him that won't pop but is light enough for him to push around and push up into air?
    JacqueZ likes this.
  2. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    I've noticed with the Boys and the Belles that the large balls from Meijer seem to last better than the ones from other places. At our house, they run them into the rose bushes.
    JacqueZ likes this.
  3. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu loves big balls! He pushes them around the yard, and bounces them off his nose. But I have yet to find a big on that does not pop. Most of the time they hit a sharp spot on the fence or house, but sometimes he manages to pop them with his teeth. We buy the large balls at Wal-Mart. They are not too expensive, but they are hard to find in the winter months. We bought 3 in the fall, IMG_0876.JPG and he is down to one, and it is over the fence. Waiting for the neighbor to toss it back!
    ghggp likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Poor Beau...to lose his new toy so soon after getting it :(.
    No suggestions, I just think it's a great idea getting them a big ball to play with. I'll keep a look out for them (I think Piper would love it).
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    They all pop eventually -- unless you get those big exercise balls. Even those are a risk. Here's Annie, close on the heels of Tanner, her foster brother 4198Tanner&Annie.jpg . This was taken right before she came to us:
    ghggp, Jams, RikyR and 1 other person like this.
  6. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Yes, I've gotten them at Walmart but here even in the summer they are hard to find. I found one at Five Below and since it was covered in cloth I thought it wouldn't pop as easily. Well, his tooth must have hit it as it popped and immediately deflated--but I cannot find a tooth mark or hole :(

I will look for more for him. He just loves them.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I buy the kids' rubber play balls at Walgreens although all the chain drugstores have them. They're a big bigger than a soccer ball. They don't pop, but they may run out of air. We just use the air pump to fill them up again. The dogs love chasing them!
  8. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Sca used exercise balls for a long time but they are heavy. When he was young he would get a run and jump on them so the little ones had no chance. Spitfire never cared for them..... might have to test Angus this weekend :)
  9. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Beau used to run and jump on top of our soccor ball and basketball. We have a rubber play ball about 8.5 inches that he has not managed to pop but the big ones I think one of his teeth must hit at just the right angle.
  10. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Hollie loved to push big balls around too. Shelby just doesn't grasp the concept of pushing it around. She prefers to jump on it or bounce it off her nose when you toss it at her.