Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Beau's stitches to come out today! Yeah!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Pam, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    So Beau's stitches are planned to be removed today. He is looking good, eating well, nice pink tongue and never had any coughing. So all seems great, I will know more after vet visit. Plexiglass is going up over windows near furniture and our glass door.

Jams and KarenCurtis like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Great news! I still am staggered that he managed to break the glass -- I never considered that when folks are living in an older home! Feel good as new, Beau!!

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    OUTSTANDING NEWS!!!! Yeah, Beau! Hope that cone of shame is gone too!

4. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    OK, stitches are out! He looks good, sounds good--and we are in the clear. Phew! E-collar comes off tomorrow (no more spilled water) and he can resume activity as normal. We will be blocking all sight lines to speeding cars, putting plexiglass in windows and starting a bran-fresh car desensitizing protocol. I am thinking of freshening up advanced training as well, although he does really really well in classes--pretty near perfect usually, it is in the backyard at home with planes overhead and speeding cars he looses it.

I'm open to any and all advice. Never, ever ever want to go through something like this again.

Jams, corbinam, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    So happy the outcome is good for Beau. What a gnarly accident. Good for you for following thru with training, too.

6. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    So happy to hear about his recovery!!!!!! What a huge relief!

7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

You must be so happy! Very scary.... sadly, I don't think pups learn their lesson with these things (Gavin has never learned from his mistakes)

8. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Glad to hear he is all better! Shelby is also quite reactive to fast/loud cars, kids playing, airplane and birds. We tried our best to desensitize her but we just couldn’t do it. Maybe we just were not patient enough.

At our previous home she would sit on the chair and just wait for the neighborhood kids to come out and play basketball. Then she would just go uncontrollably crazy. Our solution was to put up plantation shutters so she couldn’t see or jump at the window and kept the radio on so she couldn’t hear. Now when she was outside we just would have to bring her in the house when they were outside. Which seemed like all the time.

We have since moved and no longer have these issues. Now she likes to sit on the ottoman and watch (and bark) and the big black birds flying around. But in this house she can’t reach the windows to jump at them.

I am sure if you have the patience you will be able to desensitize him. Like I said we were not patient enough and it was just to difficult because these triggers were happening a lot when we were not at home to work on it. For us it was easier to try and block the triggers.

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Lol - I was just thinking of you and posted in the other thread.

Is Beau going near the windows or has he remembered what happened?

10. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Wow, I am so glad he pulled through ok!