Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Beauty and the beasts

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Nov 9, 2019 at 7:33 PM.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    A bit of a mixed bag on our evening walk. Willow and I got off to a very late start as we were out visiting relatives during the day. The full moon was fitful behind a lace curtain of wispy cloud, showing from time to time and brightening our path when she peeked through. Partway along the park belt, two coywolves came racing by us, swift and silent shadows. That was a bit startling but Willow barked at them and wanted to race after them. Big heart but too small a dog for that!

The coywolves have made a number of visits to our linked parks but there haven't been any incidents of pets or people getting hurt. This hunting pair seems to be fairly shy of people.

Anyway, the walk was pretty in the moonlight with my best little girl enjoying our time out together. Here's a shot I took beside one of the lakes.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/...19105594--5395993856969700729-IMG_2180-X2.jpg

jomuir, Ann, TheDailyPainter and 2 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Nice photo. Your mentioning of them is the first I've ever heard of coywolves. I guess the best news is they are shy. Of course we want people and pets to be safe, but I always feel for the wildlife. They are just trying to make a living under not great circumstances as we push humanity further into the wild places.

GlennR likes this.
  3. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I believe all the coyotes in Ontario are actually coywolves now. They are a hybrid of wolves and coyotes, bigger and more cooperative hunters than regular coyotes. Here's a link to a newspaper article about them.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/08/15/meet_the_coywolf.html

Hanne likes this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Interesting article. I always thought wolves preyed on coyotes as competition. I saw a nature show once that filmed that happening. I guess Nature adapts to the impacts we make on the planet as best she can.

GlennR likes this.