Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Becoming the Church Dog - Puppy Style!

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Chris, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Many of you know that Layla was the Church Dog for our local Episcopal church. She went every Sunday, assisting with Children's Chapel, demonstrating to the kids how to be quiet, and helping me at Vacation Bible School. Not long after she died, the pastor asked me if we would be getting another Church Dog. I assured him that we would, when I was ready and able to get the "right" Sheltie.

Asher is turning out to be the ideal Church Dog. He's learning to be quiet, behave, and that coffee hour after means cheese! The kids adore him, and he's so gentle with them, especially the babies. Who knew a four-month old puppy could be so cooperative? I think Layla is whispering to him. :wink2:
    IMG_3885.jpeg

Darren, GlennR, Ron Atkinson and 10 others like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    It sure sounds like Asher is channeling Layla, Chris. That is great that he's so good at this young age! Any of mine would be chewing the hymnals. Good boy, Asher! :love:

Darren, Chris, Ron Atkinson and 4 others like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    What a blessing (ha ha couldn't resist) Asher is turning out to be. He sounds like such a wonderful guy. Is he at all related to Layla?
    Mine would always surprise me at the retirement homes when our agility club puts on demos. We do a meet and pet with the residents before and after, and even though shy, they would approach folks in wheelchairs, with walkers, etc. They just somehow know what to do.

4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Sca ADORED kids. Not sure where it came from but the little ones he was gentle with but the older ones he could run and chase with. Anytime he saw a kid he had to visit. Sounds like Asher is headed that way....maybe calmer with the wild ones.

5. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Layla has good taste in successors! I am so happy you have found another Church dog.

Like Sheep, I never could figure where Fillion's love of babies came from. He wasn't raised with any kids around. But if there are children he MUST check them out. He stands very quiet for pats. He doesn't want to hang around long after he has decided they are ok, but he makes a big deal out of getting over to where the kids are.

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    That’s awesome that Asher is being so good right now! However…a word of warning…Piper was good at 4 months too, it was at 6 months he became a problem child:lol:. Of course by 9 months he was on the straight and narrow!
    Piper was the same Margi…never met a child as a puppy and at just over a year we did Meet the Breeds at our local exhibition and he was in heaven! He loved every child and to this day he enjoys having children pat him!

7. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I seriously LOVE this...it is so special to me. Mixes so many things that are important to me. I'd Love to attend church with you and Asher... so sweet!

Darren, RikyR, Chris and 3 others like this.
  8. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Go Asher!! Minnie would not excel in that position. She would find something to bark at

Darren, Piper's mom, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Although Asher isn't related to Layla, he sure seems to have her whispering in his ear. A few days ago, I was at the church, which houses a Montessori preschool during the week. I had Asher with me, and oops! As I was slipping into the school area to get scissors, he slipped in and raced across the room to the 20+ littles seated at their tables. Can you say pandemonium? I was trying to apologize and capture a delighted Asher, who was jumping in the middle of a knot of kiddies. Once we got everything settles down, the delighted teachers watched as I had the kids come up in small groups to pet Asher. I taught them that he was a Shetland Sheepdog, which the repeated together. Throughout, Asher was sweet, not mouthy, and enjoyed their gentle pets as they told me about their pets at home. What a lovely and unexpected gift!!

Darren, Piper's mom, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Asher, sounds Iike he is well on his way to becoming a Sheltie Good Will Ambassador. I bet you both made those kids day. Way to go Asher, keep up the good work. :)