Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Beginning clicker training

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by lukabear, Dec 15, 2009.

1. lukabear

lukabear Forums Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2009
    Mississippi
    Anyone have any tips or where to start?

I need a reliable way to really instill the basics, because Luka is still not very interested in coming when called outside.

I have a month off before school, so I figure i'll just use it as intensive doggy training time .:)

2. vicky2

vicky2 Forums Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2009
    NJ
    I seriously reccommend watching this youtube channel. She is a great trainer.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup
    You could probably find the basics towards the older dates.
    Good luck! :winkgrin:

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
  4. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    How old is your pup?

I actually had my cliker with me the day I picked Trapp up,and brought him home. And on our trip home,which was supposed to be like a 4-1/2 hour drive,(turned out to be 6)
    When Trapp was awake, or if we stopped, I would click,then just give a tid bit of a treat. I think they call this "priming".But I wanted him to get to know the sound,and what follows(treat) if he does a good thing.

It didn't take long,for him to get the drift of clicker training.I'm quite proud of him actually,as I have his full dead on attention,he knows when I have the clicker on my finger,and gets the idea very quickly.
    He sits,shakes,and down very well. We are working on longer stays when we are outside with him.

I went to a site called www.clickertraining.com
    Someone here mentioned it once in a thread,I found the info very helpful.

5. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Well gee...I see Sherri has already pointed you to the site! Thank you Sherri,I do believe you were the one back some time ago,that I saw had posted.

Thank you bunches!!

6. lukabear

lukabear Forums Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have two that are 9 months. :)

The priming sounds like a very good idea. I haven't tried the clicker out yet, but my bfs aging french brittany (who hasnt had any clicker training) responded immediately to it like "OKAY WHAT DO YOU NEED. IM READY."

It was pretty cute, can't wait to start.