Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Best new house flooring

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by SheepOfBlue, Feb 20, 2019.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    I am REAL close to starting a new house for me and the guys. So I am looking for best flooring for Shelties :) This is the floor plan with a full basement under it. The two items on the top are screen porches with a covered area between that is open to the backyard that I am sure will become Spitfire's throne to rule from. The bottom area is a covered front porch. Any input on flooring and for which areas? house.jpg

This is the back back.jpg Thanks the guys need the best and my decorating skills are suspect at best LOL

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I have stone tiles and they are great for not showing dirt and not getting scratched. They DO keep it very cool so depending on your location that might not be what you want.
    But would be great for kitchen, entryways, and bathrooms. Right now I have throw rugs everywhere because of Gavin's leg issue.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I like wood floors -- but Pergo works very well, too.

4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    My place has some pergo and while I like it fine, the previous tenants dog was able to really scratch it up in places....

5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I always thought I wanted tiled floors. I cook lots and am on my feet lots. When my mom got ill and I spent more time out with her, I got to cook and spent lots of time on tile floors. I am 53, chubby but not obese but not starving by any means either. I find my knees, hips, ankles all ache like the dickens when I am at my dad's. We threw out our plans for tile in our kitchen dinette area where I spend most of my time, and continued on the hardwood floor that is in our dining and living room. We had that floor professionally finished. I love it so much, I tore up all the carpet that was on the second level and installed prefinished hardwood that matches except for the bathroom where we have tile - started it myself while hubby was off on a business trip - if you are a DIYer it's easy to install, has a real good, hard finish on it, it just has ridges in between the boards that the finished on site stuff on the main level does not. In the kitchen, I could see it as a con because flour - if you bake - could get stuck int hat little easement between boards.

A few thoughts.... hardwood is soft on your joints. Yes, it can scratch but a good installer can charge you a bit extra to put on a better coat of finish. I went with a gloss, a satin and then topped with another gloss. The satin hides scratches, the gloss gives you the shine and harder finish. It can always be sanded down and refinished if scratched but the finish lasts forever.

Tile... if you opt, be prepared when you get older as it is not nice on your joints. If you opt for tile, with animals, I would pay extra for an epoxy grout to be installed. I have 2 boys and when we redid the kids bathroom, I put epoxy grout in after dealing with urine soaked grout for years. Some folks don't like the effort expended by the epoxy grout, but it won't absorb urine (puppy or people - haha!) and won't stain like normal grout either.

I am not a fan of the 'fake' wood floors as to me, they don't sound like real wood floors, don't necessarily look like real wood floors but mostly cannot be refinished like real wood floors. In a pinch, there are some nice ones out there though.

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    PS - I love your house plans!!!!

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Just a note if you go with wood floors. Don’t go with dark brown wood. It’s what we have. And while it’s beautiful, it shows every. Single. Dog Hair.

I can sweep and then 20 minutes later there’s hair again. Tumbleweeds gather at every foot of furniture (tables, bar stools, etc).

RikyR, SheepOfBlue and Sandy in CT like this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I did not want to deal with tile floor - loud, cold, hard, and then grout lines which get filthy. We did not want hardwood for the scratch reason, also the cost. So we did a very high grade vinyl floor, which has a wood plank look. Fools lots of people because it really looks like wood. It is cushy because it has some padding, like the insole of a shoe. It does not show any dog nail marks. it's quieter, it's super easy to clean up, and you can get any look you want, stone, wood, marble, etc. I think our brand is Armstrong. I'm really happy with it.

Your new house looks wonderful! Ours is a 50 year old tract house which we've been improving for years.... and years... SIGH.

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  9. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Isn't Pergo wood??? I have a room above the garage that is getting Pergo (storage room mostly). thought it was a free floating wood floor.

Oh and Cindy we are in north Alabama so winter lasts about 2 months and for the last two years did not involve snow ;-) Heat is the name of the game.

I noticed zero mention of carpet. Reasons?

Also no mention of ceramic in the kitchen or bathrooms. Though the grout comment is fantastic.

Lastly if you like the floor plan all y'all would have died at the video walk thru. Living room pictures are all my Shelties (well OK Spitfire would claim that is backwards).

Thank you all for the comments and keep anymore coming. Once built we start planning the north Alabama Sheltie party :)

10. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Oh and especially any comments on cool ideas for the mud/laundry room between the garage and house. I am planning a laundry tub and shelves in there for dog washing etc. Figure I need flooring and maybe the walls.