Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Best Time for Professional Grooming

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Trail Rider, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Trail Rider

Trail Rider Forums Novice

Apr 8, 2018
    Currently, I own 4 shelties. I want to keep them cool and comfortable in the summer. I am not very good at getting all their undercoat out, so I would like to get them professionally groomed. I can't do this more than once a year. My question is: When would be the best time of year to bring them to a professional groomer? Thank you in advance for your response.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Depends on where you live. I used to have Boodle clipped down (the only one I did this to because she suffered so in the heat). We're in Virginia, so June worked for us. I would look for when they start to shed big time.

Trail Rider likes this.
  3. Trail Rider

Trail Rider Forums Novice

Apr 8, 2018
    I live on Long Island (NY). I'm guessing the middle of June would be good. They have so much hair; I hate to see them suffer.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Unless your Shelties are unusually coated, it's the coat they have that does keep them cool. It serves to insulate them from both cold and heat. If you do want to have them groomed to help remove the dead undercoat, that's probably a good idea. I would recommend talking to a Sheltie breeder though, rather than a "professional" groomer. Most commercial groomers have no idea how to groom a Sheltie, although they will tell you they do. Some breeders will groom your dog for you for a fee, or they can give you the name of someone who will, or even a groomer who knows how to do Shelties.

Most Shelties blow their coats from spring through early summer, so June would probably work well.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Definitely watch out -- make sure the groomer knows not to clip. Tell them -- and show them -- what you want done in the way of a "poop-chute" and foot trimming. Then insist that other than that, bath and brush out ONLY! And I recommend leaving written instructions as well!

6. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I e
    I second the motion after having had both of my shelties' bellies shaved at the hands of a groomer I have been using for well over a year :-( Who had very clear instructions that NO scissors were to be used in the bathing of my dogs.