Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Best time to go emergency vet?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Cindy, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    It's 1AM New Year's day. I waited 20 minutes, and there was only the person whose dog was already being treated when I pulled in in the parking lot.

So best guess is pancreatitis. they ran blood work while I waited. I need to call back to get the results (I asked at 4am, but they must have forgot). vet said it didn't look acute, but rather chronic. Urinalysis to be done at outside lab this weekend. couldn't do ultrasound until normal hours.

Gavin got some fluids and drugs. His vomiting has stopped and he is drinking water and chicken stock. Still not eating. He was uncharacteristically not cooperative with his pills this morning. took a few tries. If he's not eating by evening I think I go back and get a feeding tube.

both of us are exhausted!

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I’m so sorry Gavin is sick but good thinking to get him in quickly! Hopefully he starts eating soon! You’ve got a good plan in place to take him back if he’s not eating…at his age he can’t afford not to eat!
    Fingers crossed that he begins to improve quickly! I’ll say a prayer for him and sending hugs to you, this must be a very stressful time for you!

Ron Atkinson likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm very sorry to hear this, Cindy, but I'm so glad you got him into the vet easily and quickly. I hope the meds help him recover fast and get him eating again. Thank goodness you caught it and they were able to identify the problem. Prayers for Gavin and hugs to you.

4. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    i hope the new year brings health to gavin, and health and hapiness to all

Hanne, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    still not eating (he is drinking water). he is reasonably accommodating of syringe feeding, but geez is that messy and time consuming !
    not eating is never been a thing with Gavin so I am a newbie at this. I am heating everything up so it smells better, but other than that what should I do?

Hanne, Ann, Ron Atkinson and 2 others like this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    we had a quick pee, and I boiled a chicken breast. He actually ate some of it from my hand. I wish it was a lot more, but baby steps. It was probably his first solid food in 36-48 hours. And then he drank more water. He is doing that all on his own now.

OK. I can hear his tummy making digestive noises. and now mine is too!

So I guess its like a baby, small feedings as often as I can manage it (I really hope he keeps eating)

Hanne, TheDailyPainter, Ann and 4 others like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Good news that he’s eating something, what about baby food? If you don’t have any I’d keep up with anything he likes that is low fat. It’s good too that he’s drinking, at his age it’s very easy to become dehydrated. I agree on the baby steps...every little bit helps! Keep us posted on how he’s doing!

Hanne, Ann and Ron Atkinson like this.
  8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    last night before his water vomiting, I ran to the grocery store and got the sick sheltie kit (all the goodies for nursing a bout of diarrhea).
    Pedialyte, baby food, pumpkin (hidden on the bottom shelf by the cake decorating stuff and took forever to find), plain yogurt.
    I have been syringing him the sweet potato puree baby food and chicken stock.

9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Dang it! Poor Gavin. I agree with the baby food jars. He will need some protein, but def low fat. Make sure the yogurt isn't full fat yogurt. I think you are doing the right steps. I hope you can get lab results and maybe an ultrasound if needed soon. What a bummer to come home to. He couldn't be in better hands though Cindy. :fl :hugs

Ann, Piper's mom and Ron Atkinson like this.
  10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Poor Gavin!!! And poor you, sounds like you both must be tired. Baby food - yea!!!! I guess if he i not eating, I'd try just about anything but try to watch fat and salt.

Prayers going out to both of you!!!

Hanne, Ann, Piper's mom and 1 other person like this.