Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Beware raw chicken and chicken necks

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Caro, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I was just listening to the radio, and a veterinary neurologist was on to discuss research just uncovered by the university of Melbourne. I'll post a link to the podcast when it becomes available.

The research found that a significant number of dogs being fed raw chicken developed a neurological condition, which they think is caused by the campylobacter bacteria in the chicken. It is more often found in small dogs, which he hypothesised was because small dogs are more likely to be fed raw chicken necks.

Bit of a shock. I've taken mine off chicken because Deska doesn't seem to do all that well with some chicken(not all though), and I stopped giving them chicken necks because of this, even though raw chicken necks are Tully's fave.

I'll keep you posted when I find more on the research, but I thought I'd post it asap.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks so much Caro for posting this! What a wake-up call for us all!

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I just don't do raw. I know many folks swear by it, but I'm just not comfortable with raw food.

Hanne and Pam like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Thanks for posting this, Caro. I agree with Chris.

Hanne likes this.
  5. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I have been trying to get behind the idea of raw, but wasn't there yet. So not sure I want to do it. Now I will not give the occasional chicken backs I gave.

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    here's the link to the study. I find it odd that chicken necks are more likely to have the bacteria that the chicken backs and I also wonder if it's a problem only in Australia...I don't know if same study has been done elsewhere. I will continue to feed chicken backs and I'll save the necks for making broth (I buy 5 kilo boxes of necks and backs). Thanks for the info Caro.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jvim.15030/pdf

7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I slogged thru the whole paper. Thanks for the link, Piper's mom. There's a whole lot of "iffin" going on there, with a very small study sample. Plus they never tested the chicken the dogs ate. I'm not going to worry about it for the dogs or myself.

8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Thanks for finding that, I'm laid up atm so wasn't able to fiind it. From the interview the disease has the highest prevalence in Australia because of the high prevalence of feeding raw chicken necks. We don't use backs here but most dogs I know are fed chicken necks, hence why an Australian study wouldn't discuss backs. I've been looking at other research and it seems the theory's been around for ages that this particular bacteria caused it, no one had done a study tho. But the problem of the bacteria stands regardless of the source of raw chicken. As my two age they become more sensitive so I don't want to risk it, Tully does just fine without a couple of necks ever day.

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I gotta agree with you Margi plus I couldn't find any other study like it. I'm going to continue to feed the backs to my boys as well.

10. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes thanks for posting the info for those who feed raw. I don't just because I don't feel comfortable with
    raw either. Its just like I posted on the canned dog food, never fed that either to my dogs.