Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Beware the Wildlife

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Ann, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    This story happened in my neighborhood this week, when a bobcat attacked a dog and followed the dog into the garage and attacked the dog's owner. I have bobcats here frequently, and had been told they're generally not dangerous. I'm rethinking that theory! We've also had a coyote chorus yipping and howling in the woods behind my house all week at night. Geez, the bears go to sleep and these guys take over. It's gotten so I'm afraid to let the dogs out!
    https://www.wtnh.com/news/animals-a...G8-zD3iLSZDcVTepB2sXa7tZ5wS0j8gE5kHPDQWw0u4tM

This picture is of one in my driveway a month or so ago.....

Bobcat 2020 (2).jpg

sable, KarenCurtis, Hanne and 4 others like this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    There is no WOW button - but wow - that is a BIG bobcat! I've had them around here but like 1/3 of that one's size!

Scary!!!! Be safe Ann and girls!!!!

Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Saw a bobcat for the first time while I was out riding my horse on a nearby open space. I thought they were really shy creatures - so yow, that's a scary story. Keep your eyes peeled, Ann!

Hanne, Sandy in CT, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  4. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    That is really scary, Ann. Stay safe and your precious doggies too!!
    Trini

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    That is very scary Ann! That sounds very unusual, I wonder if there was something wrong with the bobcat? Did they trap it or are they attempting to...if not please be very careful!
    Edit...didn’t see the link to story so I’m glad to hear the animal is dead..as much as I love nature there’s something wrong when a wild animal attacks for no reason! What a fright that must’ve been for them...hope they’re ok and that dog and owners heal quickly!

Hanne, Sandy in CT and Ann like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Our town animal control officer sent out an email warning people about the increase in rabid animals this year, so I'm thinking perhaps this one was. She also said dog and owners are both OK. The dog had had rabies shots and the owners are getting them too. So at least they're all OK.

Piper's mom, Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Of all the critters I have to deal with out here, the bobcats are the ones that scare me the least...well till now!

8. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Oh my lord! Thank goodness we don’t encounter those guys. Just deer, fox, geese and turkeys where we are.

9. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    WOW, that is one big bobcat!

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and Ann like this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I just can’t imagine what a horrific and terrifying experience it must have been for dogs and human! Thank God everyone is safe!
    Did they ever confirm that the bobcat had rabies?