Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bib pattern or source?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Kaye, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Kaye

Kaye Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Does anybody use bibs on their shelties? If so, could you point me towards either a retail source, or maybe post a pattern? I'm pretty sure I could figure it out and make one, but it would be nice not to re-invent the wheel (or the bib, as the case may be).

I'm thinking maybe a basic baby bib, but I'd like to have some ideas of how to attach the bottom of the bib so it doesn't swing forward and 1) get in her way, or 2) fall into the food when she's eating.

I've found various dog bibs on line, but most of them seem to be for drool issues - not giant sheltie ruff issues. They're not secured at the bottom, probably because the design is to catch drool, which happens with the dog's head up, not down in a bowl. I've also found bibs for smaller dogs, but they seem mostly to be the tie-a-hanky-around-the-dog's-neck decorative kind of bib.

Anybody have a pragmatic source or pattern?

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I've tried bibs but they get in the way of eating as the dog's head is down, same with bandanas. Most of the designs for dog stuff is for dogs with long ears, not big ruffs.

The best thing I have is a children's apron. The are long enough that you can tie them under their bellies, and I removed the waist strings and just sewed them back on lower down. It doesn't cover the whole ruff, but actually they don't need the whole covered, just the part under their noses, and you can tuck the sides of the ruff into the bib. I've attached some pics of Deska's apron, it's old - just a cheap freebie in a show bag but works great. I did try bibs that have waist ties but they don't work that well, aprons are a better shape. I think Velcro ties would good so it doesn't catch fur when you tie it on.

small-bib.gif small-Deska-in-bib.gif
    Poor Deska - I put on his bib and he got all excited thinking he was being fed!

JacqueZ and Kaye like this.
  3. Kaye

Kaye Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Perfect!! I can totally do that! Thanks so much. :)

.....and my thanks to Deska for modeling - I hope you got a treat out of the deal, buddy, even if you didn't get dinner yet. :)

JacqueZ likes this.
  4. SKNerissa

SKNerissa Forums Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Love it! When Riley was a pup he got car sick a lot (just looking at a car or hearing "car ride" was enough to start him drooling) so I used to tie a baby recieving blanket around his neck. The apron is a great idea! Riley would love to lick the big mixing bowl I prepare his food in but I don't let him because of the mess it would leave on his ruff - this could change that :)

JacqueZ likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    What a great and creative solution!

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, ran across this thread and forgot all about this great solution for Logan's ruff!
    Will certainly help to eliminate the bully stick 'bad hair day' ruff!

Thanks again Kaye!

Logan Ruff.jpg