Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Black changing to brown

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Lexi, May 28, 2018.

1. Lexi

Lexi Forums Enthusiast

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    So I have a bi black sheltie and the colour is changing to brown on her back mostly. Now in the sun it is most obvious. As a puppy she appeared more brown in the sun than her siblings too. She eats barf food. Is this from the sun, food or she is just like that?

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    When Minnie switched to adult fur the first summer, her deep black coat got a red/brown look.
    Last year, it was not that much.
    I am sure it is the sun that does it.
    Her coat is deep black right now, but we are of course also just started summer :lol::lol:

3. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's likely a combination of all three. The sun definitely fades black coats, some black Shelties seem to be more predisposed to color fading, and there may be a link between diet and how well the dog keeps its color. I've heard of kelp supplements being recommended to help a black dog stay black; anecdotally I've also heard of commercial diets containing beet pulp turning black dogs red.

corbinam likes this.
  4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Shelby’s coat too gets a brown tint to it, especially in the summer. I think the sun causes it.

5. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu's coat gets a mahogany tint in the summer. He does not spend a lot of time outside during the summer (it is going to be 92F today), but it definitely a seasonal change.

6. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Skylar's coat has always had deep brown undertones instead of being true black, since she was a baby. I often wondered if there is such a thing as mixed dominance in coat color, since her father is a tri and her mother is a sable.

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Jocu loves to lay in the sun and he definitely has red highlights.....

8. Lexi

Lexi Forums Enthusiast

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    Interesting.. tofu pup with my girl it might be the diet like you mentioned because she does indeed eat beep pulp in her raw food. I don't mind but could this be a problem in conformation? I think I will not show her again but you never know.

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    You might consider trying Chris Christensen's Black on Black shampoo.

10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Technically it is a fault in the show ring. Below is the note about it in our standard:

“Color: Black, blue merle, and sable (ranging from golden through mahogany); marked with varying amounts of white and/or tan. Faults - Rustiness in a black or a blue coat.”

Many people dye their dogs before they enter the ring to cover it up, though I believe that is technically not legal.