Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Blaze or No Blaze

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by MissSuzie, Mar 15, 2010.

1. MissSuzie

MissSuzie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008
    Beautiful SW Florida
    In one of the other threads the topic of blazes came up and I'm curious what everyone thinks.

I have no idea if a blaze is something a breeder looks for or not. I'm curious what you all think.

In my opinion, I like the look of a blaze. I think it softens the face some, particularly on tri-colored or bi-blacks.

Meggie's blaze nearly breaks mid-nose, but does go all the way up. Lilly and Piper, my daughter's dogs have no blaze. I have to say, my grand-doggers are some good looking sheltie dogs, sans blaze!

Attached Files:

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I think I prefer a blaze on all colors.

Lexi doesn't have much of one, just more white around her nose. Bentley has a thin one that does go all the way up.

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  3. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Honestly markings really dont play into any part of my breeding program. Structure and temperment are more important than a blaze vs no blaze for breeding decisions. And I would hope noone here was breeding just because they are looking for a certain color or design.

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Blaze or no blaze...that is the question....

Personally, i like a thin blaze on sables and bi blacks, no blaze on tris and a large blaze on blue merles... no reason behind it. Just my personal preference

And blaze or no blaze, would not effect my decision on buying a puppy. I think they are all cuties

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  5. MissSuzie

MissSuzie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008
    Beautiful SW Florida
    Lightplum, I understand that structure and temperment are the primary criteria when breeding, but I did think that markings had something to do with it as well. Let me clarify, I am NO BREEDER, but I thought that, for instance, a full white collar is a disireable trait.

Oh wait, this is a different thread topic, huh??:smile2::smile2:

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I know I've seen some shelties for sale advertised with "full collar"--so I wonder if that's a desirable trait just because it's preferred by most? Or if it just completes that "Lassie look", or does it indicate anything genetically?

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I think a blaze is the really classic look. I know you will hate me for saying this, but Lassie had a blaze so its a look we grew up with and loved. I think most people, esp if looking for a pet, would want a blaze.

My previous shelties were golden sables with a white blaze and I had every intention of getting another. But then I met the right pup and he didnt have a blaze. Tully has a blaze, its just under her muzzle instead of over.

8. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    It's more of a desired trait in what pet people are looking for. That's why you'll see it advertised with things like 'full collar' 'blaze'.
    Color/markings shouldn't play a roll in choosing which dog to keep by a breeder.
    Of course, all things being equal, everybody does have their preference...

9. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Color and makings themselves don't (or at least, shouldn't) factor into breeding decisions (beyond merle-to-merle and sable-merle breedings)... however! Expression is a big part of breed type, and it's possible for facial markings to detract from expression. This is a very subjective matter, but it is something that can be hard to get around when evaluating individual dogs.

10. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Like others had said marking don't mean anything when choosing a show or preformance dog. However if faced with two equal quality dogs, I do have prefences.:smile2:

I don't care for huge white blazes, Justice's is the biggest I prefer. If they have a blaze, I prefer a pencil blaze. I really like the plain faces especially on tri's and blues and white around the noses on the sables with no blaze. Something so cute about a little black nose in an island of white.

I really like a big white collar(can't tell by my dogs I know:wink2:). Although my friends bi blue doesn't have but a spot of white on the back of his neck and he is beautiful. In merles I like a moderately merled body with palm sized spots, I don't care for merles with tons of black.

Overall though I don't think there is a bad color in a sheltie.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012