Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Blessing and a Curse

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by DianeP, Jun 10, 2021 at 10:04 AM.

1. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    I always tell people the blessing and the curse of living with a dog is that you are forced outside, no matter the weather. Yes, you might be out in rain, freezing temps or sweltering heat, but you also see wonderful things you would otherwise miss. This morning, Mindy and I spotted a great blue heron perched in a tree. Recently, we’ve seen turtles, geese, ducks, fox, raccoons, muskrats and Sandhill cranes. Definitely a blessing. Here are a few photos. (Mindy displays her ambivalent ears, as well.)

upload_2021-6-10_9-4-33.jpeg upload_2021-6-10_9-4-33.jpeg upload_2021-6-10_9-4-33.jpeg

Darren, Ann, RikyR and 8 others like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Love the last shot of Minnie!
    Gotta say, not fond of the Herons as they can devastate a Koi pond in no time flat!
    gave a couple of my koi to a friend and asked how they were doing a week afterwards. He said you don’t want to know…
    It was killed by the Heron! :gaah

Darren, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  3. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    We have the opposite situation here. Someone who wasn’t thinking released koi into our wetland pond and now it’s full of invasive koi that don’t belong there! That’s why the heron hangs around. It’s a full service buffet. At the end of last summer, we had 4-5 heron hanging around. We even have a resident seagull and we are far from larger bodies of water.

Darren, RikyR, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    WOW, that is terrible!
    We have a horrible problem with:
    Asian carp (bighead, black, grass, and silver carp) were imported to the United States in the 1970s as a method to control nuisance algal blooms in wastewater treatment plants and aquaculture ponds as well as for human food. Within ten years, the carp escaped confinement and spread to the waters of the Mississippi River basin and other large rivers like the Missouri and Illinois.

Asian carp are in direct competition with native aquatic species for food and habitat. Their rapid population increase is disrupting the ecology and food web of the large rivers of the Midwest. In areas where Asian carp are abundant, they have harmed native fish communities and interfered with commercial and recreational fishing.

Experts are extremely concerned about the consequences of Asian carp invading the Great Lakes, where the carp would negatively affect the $7 billion-a-year fishing industry.

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    YIKES! Kinda like people letting pythons go in the Everglades, or introducing rabbits to Australia....:uhoh:

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Beautiful shots, Diane - we have blue herons here too, they eat GOPHERS :yes: so we love them. I see them in the creek occasionally but have never seen one in a tree. Love the photo of Mindy she always looks so happy.

Darren, Piper's mom and DianeP like this.
  7. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Yes! It is a terrible problem in the Great Lakes.

8. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    The heron really are serious hunters with precision strike capabilities.

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Love the pictures and seeing Mindy’s always smiling face!

Darren and Sharon7 like this.
  10. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Love the shots Diane and the last pic of Mindy is perfect! I love the amount of nature walks I do because of Monty....although there are days when it's cold and raining yet you still have to go for a walk when you'd rather be staying warm and dry :lol:

Sharon7 likes this.