Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Blue Buffalo DOES test on animals.

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Lacey'sMamma, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Lacey'sMamma

Lacey'sMamma Forums Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2010
    Brandon MB, Canada
    Im so shocked by this, went on peta's website and blue buffalo along with iams and now halo are all tested on animals. I know about iams, and now with halo being owned by P & G it makes sense. I just bought a bag of BB and am considering returning it for this reason alone. Just making sure everyone else knows this, because i have never seen this posted here.

2. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Honestly, I would be more concerned if a dog food company didn't test on dogs. "Animal testing" in the dog-food world means feeding trials - not strapping Beagles down and putting chemicals in their eyes. The food that the trials dogs are fed is wholesome food - they're not testing exotic chemicals on them. They're seeing if the food makes the dog live longer, lose weight, grow a shiny coat, etc. etc., not if it kills them.

Personally, I would prefer to know that the food I'm feeding to my pets has undergone testing to make sure it lives up to the claims that it makes (ie. being a wholesome, complete, healthy food for dogs).

Now, there is the additional question of whether the dogs in feeding trials are treated within acceptable standards. I think that's a separate issue - there are good labs and bad labs. The bad ones ought to be condemned, but the good ones shouldn't be lumped in with them.

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Absolutely agree! You took the words right out of my mouth...well actually you said it a lot better than I would have :wink2:.

Some companies do what is called "feeding trials" to make sure their food meets nutritional standards. If they do, this will be labeled on the dog food bag: “Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that (name of food) provides complete and balanced nutrition.”

As far as Halo being bought out by P&G. This is news to me! I just did a quick internet search and came back with 0 results. What site said this?

Be careful when reading Peta articles. They're not the animal loving organization that many people believe.

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    My sister, when training as an animal care technologist back in the 70's, saw the dogs the food was tested on. Even then, trialing was done with animals given the food to eat.

5. Lacey'sMamma

Aug 29, 2010
    Brandon MB, Canada

Have none of you seen the videos of animal testing in the pet food industry... Peta showed how Iams does their testing... they do strap beagles to tables. They do lock beagles up in tiny kennels for their entire life, and do horrendous tests. I know all of the foods *we* feed which are high end foods do test the foods out through feeding trials (orijen) but blue buffalo does animal testing. Watch the videos if you haven't seen.

Animal testing in the dog food world does not mean feeding trials. To these 3 brands anyways.

Go to peta and watch the videos

6. Lacey'sMamma

Aug 29, 2010
    Brandon MB, Canada
    this is off blues FAQ:
    Do you do any animal testing?

Blue Buffalo does not do any invasive animal testing. Our company was founded on the basis of providing the best possible nutrition for dogs and cats, and we treat our pets like family members. We do conduct trials in which our products are fed to pets, but only under conditions that are healthy and comfortable for the animals.

Orijen states the same on their website as well as many other brands, yet none of them are listed on PETA`s animal testing brands. Not to sure what to think. maybe ill e-mail peta

7. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I will pass on anything involving peta. They are a bunch of irrational nut jobs who will kill a dog before trying to find it a home. They have no room to talk about 'saving' animals.

8. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island

seconded...Anything PETA states is basically exaggerated or falsified...thats a well known fact!

9. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    For sure! They have no credibility, as with all fanatical groups.

10. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Whether PETA has done things that I don't agree with is debatable. However, video proof, whether it's from PETA or somewhere else, can't be disputed. If they catch you doing it, you're caught, regardless of who caught you. They do sometimes expose people who should be exposed and they expose them rather blatantly like through actual footage.

I agree, it is awful to keep anything caged its entire life. I agree so much to the point that I use hemp shampoo, and homemade tooth paste and laundry soap and dish soap, and I try very hard to not buy products who test on animals. Some dog running free in a yard, living inside, and testing dog food as a sample is a happy picture. but it ain't happening.