Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Blue eyed sable merle

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by FutureMACH, Oct 3, 2013.

1. FutureMACH

FutureMACH Forums Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    Binghamton NY
    Is there any chance that blue eyes in sable merles will ever be allowed to show in AKC?

I'm going to try my girl in UKC but there's not a lot of it around here.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I doubt it -- thank heavens for UKC!

3. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I doubt it, The AKC approves the standard written by the parent club which is the ASSA. They (ASSA)frown upon CHW's so I am going to say Hades will freeze over before blue eyes are allowed..:lol:

4. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    Keep in mind, as pointed out to me a few years ago, it is only a fault. One fault. It is not a disqualifying fault. It is not so heavily penalized as to eliminate any possibility of winning. If otherwise the dogs virtues are exceptional, and there aren't any other major faults, it technically should not keep a dog from competing. I am sure though that there are judges out there though who would refuse to put up a sable merle with blue eyes.
    It is no worse than showing a dog with a bad front, weak rear, cow hocks, short upper arm, gay tail, etc

5. FutureMACH

FutureMACH Forums Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    Binghamton NY
    Oh interesting, thanks! I see eyes and ears are scored together. Maybe her perfect ears would make up for it! :lol: