Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

blue merle puppy with heterochromia (1 blue and one brown eye)

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Estella'smom, May 16, 2015.

1. Estella'smom

Estella'smom Forums Regular

Aug 15, 2013
    Bethesda, md
    I have been ready to add another sheltie to our family for a while. A local breeder is offering a blue merle boy who is too big to show. He is a blue merle with 1 blue and one brown eye. I think he is is quite beautiful. Is heterochromia a flaw? Are there accompanying health concerns?

2. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    One blue and one brown eye in a blue merle is quite common and I have never heard that it is connected to any health issues. Of the many blues I have had over the years about 50% have had the one blue/one brown. So, if you like this pup and he is from a reputable breeder, I wouldn't hesitate to get him.

We would love to see pics when he does come home. :smile2:

Trini

3. Lunatic59

Lunatic59 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Run, don't walk to that breeder and do whatever it takes to bring that puppy home. My Winston had one blue eye and one split blue/brown. He was the best dog in the world for 14 years.

http://cmgd.net/archive/winston_foyer.jpg

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I have two merles and both have one blue and one brown eye.
    they have both been CERF'd (eye test) and have no health issues due to the eye color.

Cranpup
    Destinpup
    together

5. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    If you can look at it, get him! I have only had one with mismatched eyes, and it's not my favorite thing to look at. But it's totally normal in merles,

6. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    My Noah, a blue merle, had one brown eye, one that was half brown/half blue. He was a gorgeous dog.

7. Horse Chestnut

Horse Chestnut Forums Regular

Jul 1, 2015
    Columbus, OH
    My Ida has one brown eye, and a brown eye with just a small patch of blue. When I first saw her I thought her eye had been injured. But nope, it's just a merle thing.

8. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana

That is the same with Cleo. With her you can harldy tell but when I noticed I thought she was going blind in that eye. I made the vet check her eyes 3 times before he reassured me it was just a merle thing. :lol: I worry about her too much it seems.

9. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    My bi-blue Trace had one brown, one 3/4 blue. It was one of my favorite things about him!

10. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    My sable merle has one eye that is 1/2 and 1/2. The other eye is blue with a bunch of brown spots. So much so that it appears a browny hazel. She sees fine.