Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Boarding Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Bob R, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Bob R

Bob R Forums Regular

May 5, 2016
    Eastern CT.
    I don't post very often, but felt this was an issue to be addressed. Specifically boarding our Sheltie and his getting kennel cough. I board him at a very well known Eastern, CT Kennel, and they require all dogs boarded have Bordatella shot each year. He goes there for a week in the summer and again in the fall. The person who handles the reservations has mentioned that Kennel Cough is going around when we book for his the fall week. Sure enough he gets kennel cough after each fall boarding.

I can't win here...suggestions

Thank you
    Bob R.

2. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    No suggestion Bob, but I have put all my dogs in kennels while we vacation (different places we have lived) and never had a problem. Have you asked your Vet about it? Very frustrating for you and I hope you figure it out.

3. ttexan

ttexan Premium Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Sandia Park, NM
    My vet advised us that Bordatella vaccine is not 100%. However, if the kennel really requires all dogs to be vaccinated, then the chances are very low. If this has happened twice or more, I would suggest you consider another kennel.

4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Bordatella is not 100% but does cut down. Our local vet does the nasal one and does it every 6 months if someone is boarding. You do not need to wait the year with bordatella.

For quite a few years now we have opted instead to have a pet sitter come to our home. It started because our aging doxie was highly reactive to Distemper and I refused to give it to him any more because he was so bad. No one would accept him without, even our local vet who for a long time was okay with occasional distemper vaccines for him. We went through a few, but have one we have used for a few years now. She is 25.00 a visit, we do 2 a day, she stays an hour and a half, gives walks, plays, feeds, cleans up after, attends to my cats, my fish, will even feed our lizard of we are away long enough where it is needed. And if we are on vacation - she sends pics! :)

Calliesmom, Ann and Wendy C like this.
  5. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Two of the kennels that we used last and present are actually in the Veterinary Clinic, it’s an all round everything clinic, kennel, groomer as well they offer puppy socializing and some puppy training. Cooper has done doggy day care there twice now and it went great they also sent pictures both days of him playing with the other dogs. I have noticed when I was there for vet appointments the kennel assistant outside cleaning the dog cots (kind of canvas stretched on pvc pipe), washing down the outdoor play area as well as scrubbing indoor. Hopefully it helps keep down any kind of bad stuff. lol. you have to do what works for you and have trust they will do the best for your furry kid if not maybe ttexan is right and it’s time for a change.

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Have always used an in home petsitter. With 2 - 3 dogs and a cat it is more cost effective anyway, and less stress by far on the pets.

Sandy in CT, Wendy C and Ann like this.
  7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    We alaso have a trusted friend stay at our farmette to care for all the critters. We pay $50 a day, plus tip -- a win for everyone!

8. ttexan

ttexan Premium Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Sandia Park, NM
    I think a pet sitter is a great idea. However, finding one that we would trust to be in our home while we are gone is difficult.

Wendy C likes this.
  9. DianeP

DianeP Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    You might search for someone who does the care in their home. We have a wonderful pet sitter who boards the dogs in her own home. She does a meet and greet ahead of time to make sure the dog is comfortable with her. There is still exposure with other dogs but she never has more than 5 and there’s less stress. Our Minday gets very excited to go there. Good Luck with it!

10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I found my pet sitter from a neighbor. Our vet also had technicians who did pet sitting before we settled with our current sitter.