Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Boots

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Jan 20, 2020.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    We've tried a few makes of dog boots. It is rare for them to stay on for a whole walk which means I spend most of the walk watching carefully for a thrown boot and subsequently, searching through the snow for whichever one has been dropped. It's frustrating. Are any of you having better luck and if so, what boots did you get for your Sheltie(s)?

Wendy C likes this.
  2. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    We gave up, I tried a great pair from Etsy....didn’t fit properly even though we measured to their specifications, tried Muttlucks....again measured and no go went to PetSmart and got something there ....nope!!! We have given up after our walk we wash off Cooper’s paws and dry them. Good luck let me know if you find something! :)

GlennR likes this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    ruffwear griptex. different sizes for front and back (buy in pairs). gavin never looses them.

GlennR and Wendy C like this.
  4. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Cindy, Cooper is a spoiled boy, but $101 Canadian is pricey for a dog who is still growing! :)

Ann, Hanne and GlennR like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I know it may sound weird... but, can you make a hole in each of the boots and tie a string through them and weave them through her harness?
    Kinda like putting a string on kid's gloves and running them through their coat sleeve?

6. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    We gave up on boots, partly because of that very reason. We use the musher's stuff if it's really cold. It keeps his feet free from frostbite and he doesn't mind it as much as he did the boots.

GlennR likes this.
  7. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Same here :yes:

GlennR likes this.
  8. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    I actually thought about that, but wondered what happens after you come inside...we have hardwood floors...do you remove the “stuff” once inside? Thanks. :). Hanne this is to you as well! :)

GlennR and Hanne like this.
  9. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Yep, just use a wipe (like a baby wipe although made for dogs) on his paws. It also removes any remaining snow or ice that got stuck to his fur. He's not crazy about it but knows he'll get a treat if he lets us do that. And since treats are worth anything, well...

Hanne and Ann like this.
  10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I use hair ties to do this by threading them through the plastic velcro bits...I call them bootie keepers :)
    funny thing is Gavin never throws his boots!