Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Boys vs Girls

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sandy in CT, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    So Brodie's breeder contacted us that she might be having a new litter - no confirmed pregnancy yet though. We had told her we wanted first dibs, but she goes down her waiting list of folks and while she contacted us first, she wanted us to say boy/girl/coat. I told her I can't. I can't commit to a pup without meeting him/her so while we were first on her list after the sire's breeder who gets real first dibs, I told her to go down her list and if there is an unclaimed pup, we would like to meet him/her. Hubby is sort of wanting a girl - me, well I've had male pets for so many years, I am really afraid of being knocked off my spot there as lead bitch in the house! :)

So for those of you with both boys/girls - what do you really think are the differences once fixed? Brodie is definitely a momma's boy and Kooper is permanently attached to my feet. Brodie, however, loves everyone fairly equally - I'm just the one who always takes him out and feeds him twice a day. He will snuggles with me though, where he is not really a snuggler at all. He never, ever snuggled - now he comes racing and just jumps on my lap and flops for loving.

I did grow up with a female, but always have gone to males cuz we had kids and I look at males as goofy, loving, playful and an all around family friend. One of my classmates has a female, she is definitely more of a one person gal / primadonna, where her brother is the goofy, awkward, silly thing.

So what can you tell me about your girls?

Piper's mom, GlennR and Darren like this.
  2. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    All my dogs were male up until Willow. I can't say there's a big difference between either. Willow is loving, friendly and confident but so were all but one of the boys. The big concern I had was getting a female neutered as it is more complicated than the boys but it went smoothly.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Piper's mom, Darren and Sharon7 like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I think Glenn meant to say he had all boys until Willow....;)

I am the opposite of you, I've always had girls up until Elijah. My reasoning was the leg-lifting and marking, no other reason. I fostered several male dogs over the years who were great. I would say Elijah is by far the most sensitive and clingy of my Shelties. People always said the girls are more independent, but while mine were able to not be glued to me, they were all very affectionate and loving. Brooke used to rub against my legs and walk through them like a cat. Faith is the most extraordinary kisser - she would lick your face off if you let her. Who needs dermabrasion? :lol:

Meadow is pretty independent and self-possessed. She can entertain herself, but does check in and ask for affection. Not one of my girls was ever a real top dog alpha type. Asta and Ally we called "co-captains". We've had 3 girls all living together with no issues.

If I was assured I was getting a non-leg lifter, like Elijah, I would consider another male.

4. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I corrected my wrong sex reference :) It just goes to show I can't tell the difference.

Oddly enough Willow is a leg lifter when she goes outside. That started after her neutering.

5. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    My main dogs have all been male, not by choice just the way it fell as they were all adopted. My boxer Leo, Harley and now Monty. I had a female dog when I was young but can't really remember much except she didn't like me haha.

Hanne, Sharon7, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  6. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Perceptive or ornery? :);)

Sharon7, Piper's mom and Darren like this.
  7. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    She used to growl and snarl when-ever I went near her :lol:. She was my moms dog and stuck to her so I think I was seen as competition with me being very young.

Sharon7, Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    There was some research I posted earlier in the year about the impact on an owner's emotions on their dogs, and they used Shelties and BC. I think that study really got it right. Boys are great for fun, girls for caring.

I always had males, now I have 3 females. The males are mumma's boys, more clingy, like clowning around, more into rough play, it's all about fun. Girls are more attune to your emotions but will also give you space. I actually think my boys challenged the boundries more than my girls, but the girls can be quieter and more skittish. I've also found on SF that when people get on to ask about managing a high energy the majority of the time it's female.

I liked the dynamic of having a mix. Tully brought some stability and sense to Deska's mayhem. Tully got to be the boss of some things - like wild dogs females are the boss of the food, but overall Deska was just bigger so was in charge.

It will be interesting to see my dynamic when Kismet's hormones kick in. For now I'm keeping her intact for conformation (I'm still hoping her teeth will get better). Tully has waited too darn long to be top dog to give it up, but she's also a gentle soul.

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    I had 2 boys (non-shelties) before my first girl. I got Callie because Happy did like girls and they never had an issue. She was not super clingy but was always near- I think as a rescue that she just wanted to be sure that I was still there. as a typical sheltie, food was her thing. I got Cran because of his color- would still have picked him even if he'd been a girl. he's always been right next to me- in the velcro range. Dixie I got to keep Cran from pestering Callie- again, gender wasn't a factor. She asks for petting a lot- especially if I've been petting someone else......
    Jocu as a puppy was all about the other dogs- as he's gotten older, he wants petting and cuddling. Destin is the king of cuddling- he is usually the one who starts it when I've not been petting anyone...
    I do believe that Dixie would have been too much as an only dog in a pet home. She was pretty reactive to noise and movement when she came home but seeing 2 other dogs not reacting helped her realize that not everything needed to be barked at or avoided. channeling her energy into agility was a good thing for her and the boys give her something to do and someone to play with.

10. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Premium Member

May 2, 2014
    We have only had altered dogs to compare. I haven’t noticed a big difference. I noticed a bigger difference between the personalities I pick verses my mother picks. My mom has had more females, but i have had two males and now my first female. My mom likes more independence and calmer, I am a sucker for twinkle and want a dog who thinks I hung the moon, so I like velcro with the confidence to understand I return from work.

i think the girls are more likely to take the lead when paired with a male, even when not naturally a dominant personality. I also noticed that the females, like humans, grow physically and mature developmentally faster. They also can focus back on me faster when silly and calm down faster as young dogs. The boys are sillier and a little more obvious in their “I need my mommy”.

that said, my first male and current female are so much alike: uber confident, impish , drivy, could care less if they lead or follow, I could do anything to them. My current male is a more careful, more passive personality. We had to work with some sound /car reactivity which was probably enhanced by being born a singleton. Yet he is like a therapy dog by nature and a lap dog.

my first male and current female are affectionate and will cuddle for awhile before getting hot. They are always close.

i would advise you to tell breeder to match you up with a certain temperament.

Caro, Piper's mom and Darren like this.