Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Brindle or ...?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Greenepony, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    At an obedience trial today a number of people asked if Olive was purebred ("She was a stray so it's all a guess"), some then insisted she was sheltie and terrier mix, and then the judge - a sheltie person - said how exciting it was to finally see a brindle Sheltie even though I told her it was pretty much disproved that pure Shelties can be brindle because of dominant/recessive black.

I don't see terrier, but I could believe that what ever line she came from hasn't been prolific in the breed ring so those early brindle shelties could have more a presence. We've always listed her as a shaded sable but could she be a brindle (and therefore there's something funky in her background)?

I pulled together a couple of pictures that show her coat in different lengths and lights, I'm not seeing brindle but I think I can count on one hand the times I've seen it in person anyway: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/FNf5cw

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    she has interesting shading on her face but her back is all mahogany/shaded sable.
    don't really see terrier in there..........

3. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I don't think she's brindle at all.

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    No matter what her coloring is... She is just adorable!!!

Just the the image with her ribbons and lavender flowers.

I just want to hug and kiss that sweet face!

She reminds me of my sisters little Jasmine.

5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Obviously some St Bernard :biggrin2: oh and she needs cookies according to Sca

6. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    I just love Olive's colouring (whatever it is). She's a real cutie. Love her little white 'shoes' too! :smile2:

7. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I'll put my 2 cents into the confusion! First and foremost, your little Olive is adorable. Looking at her face suggests German Shepard, but the only reason I can see that anyone would say brindle is because of the black/brown coat colors. Whatever you decide she is, Olive is special and uniquely her own. Agree with Sca, cookies! :smile2:

8. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Thanks everyone! It's good to know I'm not going crazy. Maybe we should have named her Magic Eye, everyone seems to see something different when they look at her (The fact she's 13.5" seems to throw a lot of people, 11" is a popular guess)

We've gotten baby GSD or mix a lot, and mini-wolf:confused2:

Tell Sca Olive went trick or treating last night and got lots of cookies, including fancy iced cookies.

9. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Here is the easy way to tell:

Brindle hairs are solid from root to tip.

Agouti hairs are variegated from root to tip.

So if the color is different at the bottom than at the top, the dog is not brindle. In this case, you can clearly see the Agouti variegation.

Not brindle.

10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    We've gotten baby GSD or mix a lot, and mini-wolf:confused2:

When I saw the 2. pic I thought like Sullivan GSD , but on the other images I seemed not, the head it looks like that.

But sweet is Olive no matter what :yes: