Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Brodie and I got stung!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sandy in CT, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I was gardening earlier, must have irritated a bee. It stung me on my side then tried stinging me again. When I swatted it, it came after me so I went running for the house. I got inside but the dogs were on the deck - it went after Brodie and Kooper! Kooper likes to eat and chase bees but this one was going after both dogs. It got Brodie on his backside, possibly his front leg before I got both dogs in the house. The bee actually kept coming at the screen door - and coming and coming at it. It KNEW we were inside! I got a dose of Benedryl, had to call out to hubby to get one into Brodie. After, the bee was STILL coming at the screen door so hubby sprayed and killed it.

Poor Brodie is SOOOOO freaked out! At first he though I did something to him and was running away from me... :( He seems ok, albeit it VERY freaked out. I texted my vet and she said to dose him again and then again before bed and to keep an eye out on him the next few days.

Here is the culprit, weird thing is I think it's a bumble bee, still stuck to our screen....

Hanne, RikyR, Darren and 3 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    that does not sound like an ordinary honey bee! They can only sting once and leave the stinger in you. Yikes. Hope you are all OK. That would freak me out too!

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My thought too... honey bees can only sting once! Very scary indeed!

Darren, KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    That's one mad bee! Looks like a honey bee to me, bumble bees are bigger and wide yellow stripe but could be the angle I'm seeing it from. Reading this I did look up can bees sting more than once because I too thought they couldn't and turns out some can (if they don't have a barbed stinger). Unlucky for you that this one was able too, strange though because this does look like a honey bee. Very strange too that it'd be so aggressive! Perhaps a 'killer' bee (Africanized honey bee)? Do you still have it? Perhaps a university could test it to see what kind it was.
    Glad your ok and that you managed to get yourself and the dogs in the house and that you got ahold of your vet!
    Nasty nasty...I've never been stung by a bee but I've heard they're the worst for pain! Hope you guys are feeling better soon! An ice pack on the sting might also help.

Hanne and Darren like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I did some research:
    Bumble bees, hornets, yellow jackets, and wasps are able to sting multiple times, since their stingers are smooth and can be easily withdrawn from the victim's skin.

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Holy cow, Sandy, that's terrible! Talk about killer bees. I hope you're all OK, I've never heard of anything like that but I'm not a fan of insects and give bees a wide berth. I got stung this year on the hand several times by a wasp I thought I had contained in a tissue and it hurt like crazy for days. Take care of yourself and Brodie too!

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Wow that is one pee'd off bee, I wonder what set it off!! Glad that you managed to get inside and away from the attack and I hope you and Brodie are doing better today!

Hanne, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Thanks guys (and gals!!!!)! It was an exciting day for me! Never one to not react to stings and bites, I have at least a 4 x 4 angry red patch on my side. Then last night, I ended up in the ER after a piece of pork chop got stuck in my esophagus. A bit of muscle relaxer in an IV and all is well with my world this morning except they told me I should be on a soft diet for a while with food pieces no more than a finger nail, each chewed for 15 minutes.... Yeah right! Slept well. Brodie FINALLY calmed down I typically give liquid benedryl for bee stings as it goes right to work, but had trouble getting more than a few mls into him. Hubby ran to the store, got some 25 mg pills which are just perfect for him and he wolfed it down with a bit of cheese. Vet told me to keep an eye on him for 3 - 4 days as dogs can be slow to react - most immediate reactions are towards the muzzle - his was on his rear end. I don't feel a lump or see any redness like mine, although he has SO much hair, not sure I'd see redness.

Hanne and Ann like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Oh my goodness Sandy, never a dull moment huh? So glad your feeling better!
    I keep some syringes in a doggy first aid kit (without the tips), they come in handy when I have to give a liquid. I think I bought them at an animal supply store but some pet stores or pharmacies probably sell them.
    Thought I'd mention too to make sure you check the label of the liquid Benadryl, some of them have xylitol in them.

Hanne and Sharon7 like this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Holy cow what a set of events! You might want to see a Gastroenterologist and get an endoscopy as food getting stuck could mean your esophagus is getting narrow (it can be stretched). Worked in the GI lab at the hospital for many years so I've seen this a lot. Sounds worse of a procedure than it really is. We get a lot of this occurring at Thanksgiving, go figure.

Hope you and Brodie are doing better now!!! And, now we know where the expression, "mad as a hornet" came from!

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.