Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Brodie's injured

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Sandy in CT, May 3, 2021.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie is limping, think he might have a carpal sprain. Hubby thought he saw a limp Saturday but then Brodie was his normal, crazy self and no signs of anything further. He did his usual walk, crazy play with Deacon and Kooper. No signs of a limp early Sunday, he even showed off his tricks for hubby's mom via Facetime chat. He had another crazy play time with with Kooper, through himself into our couch and fell off. Later, he started limping but nothing immediate. I separated him from the other two, then later, he seemed okay again and was flying around after Deacon. This morning he was limping, but putting pressure on his foot. I only allowed him to pee, carried in out, then crated him. We got back around noon, carried him out, and he is barely applying pressure. He is very sad, thinks he is in prison and so we are keeping all 3 dogs crated so he doesn't feel worse. He is eating and drinking fine, peed today but no poo yet - not unusual for Brodie, he does things on his own time and I figure if hurting he might not want to go.

Vet has a ton of emergencies and can see him tomorrow. It is his left wrist, right side of this pic. Does this swelling look bad? She had me send her a picture.

2. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    My first thought is Lyme because that off and on limping and swelling in one front leg is exactly what I saw in both Laddie and Panda before they got their Lyme dx. Have you taken Brodie's temp? Hope you get a dx tomorrow so you know what you are dealing with and what if any treatment is needed.
    Trini

3. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Thank you for the reply!!!

No, I have not taken a temp. I don't have a rectal thermometer, have taken baby temps that way, but never a pet. What should it be if normal?

I have already let the vet know I want a Lyme's test. I didn't realize your two puppers had Lyme's as well. I know I have read of a lot of limping in dogs with Lyme's. Last night, I was pretty set he must be another case of Lyme's, but then I saw the swelling today so figured it was a sprain.

Did your dog's have Lyme's vaccines or not? I have never given Lyme's as way back when they first came out, the vaccine side effects were worse than the Lyme's but I guess the vaccine has changed, improved. Something else I need to read up on.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Normal body temp for a dog is 101.5...plus or minus one degree. Anything over 104 needs immediate attention.
    Both Panda and Laddie had their Lyme vaccines and also get monthly tick and flea topical. Yet they both got Lyme...the Lyme vaccine is like any vaccine in that it is not 100% and the ticks here are awful...I am literally taking ticks off all my dogs daily and off me too...even though we only spend time in areas that are mowed. If Brodie has Lyme before now, repeat bouts are possible even without new infection.
    Trini

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sorry to hear Brodie has a bum paw! Baron was limping really badly on Friday. He did the same thing. Barly put weight on it. I restricted his movements for a couple of days and no limp at all now. I used to freak out immediately when things like this happen. Now I waited a day or two with complete restrictions and if better I am not out vet bills... if not, into the vet we go!

It does look a bit swollen. The vet might be the best course

KarenCurtis likes this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Thank you so much for the reply and info. Will head out to get a rectal thermometer.

Ticks are horrible here in CT too. I carry lint rollers in the cars, have one inside the entry door into our garage. We remove all vegetation and leaves from our perimeter each fall to make it less tick friendly, we do have the perimeter sprayed (not areas the dogs walk on - I don't do chemicals on my lawn) but still Deacon managed to pick one up.

Thank you for your reply as well!!! Did you have swelling with Baron or only the limp? I would have gone with crate rest for a few days, I've done long term crate rest of doxie back issues with no vet visit (after the first instance). But after reading the limping and Lyme's post by Karen with Minnie, I wanted a Lyme's test. Now to read Trini pups were limping with Lyme's too, I really want that test! I do sorta feel it's an injury cuz of the swelling but Trini said her pups had swelling too. We will just stew over it until tomorrow.... He looks so sad, we feel so bad for him....

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    There was some swelling in the same area but did not seem as pronounced. Then again, his coat is dark and he has really BIG legs and feet.
    I saw it happen so I know it was a sprain. He came back with the frisbee limping... he had to have twisted his leg. I felt really bad for him too.
    He got MAJOR cuddles and he knew I was REALLY concerned that he was hurting. I had some leftover Tramadol and gave that to him on the first day that helped. Good luck at the vet!

Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    It’s funny but when Piper hurt his leg a couple months back it was in the exact same spot as Brodie and just as swollen! It was all better in time for his vet visit lol. Hopefully Brodie will be better in no time as well but good that your testing for Lyme just in case.

Sandy in CT likes this.
  9. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie is quiet and relaxed in my my lap, got a pee and a poo from him. I am icing the joint. He is now 100% no weight on his left front leg, swelling does not seem worse. Could not get a rectal thermometer at my local cvs but he feels normal to the touch, nose is cool and moist.

Ann, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    It does look swollen. Poor Brodie. And it's awful waiting to get into the vet. I hope it's not Lyme's either but if if is you likely caught it way early. Hope he's feeling better tomorrow.

Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.