Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Brooke - not good news

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Sharon7, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    It is with heavy heart I post about Brooke.
    It’s been 3 months and Brooke has been doing so well. But we took her in to see the vet today because overnight she vomited and then was coughing and bringing up mucus for about an hour, I thought she had aspirated. Well the news is her lungs are clear and no metastases, but he did an abdominal ultrasound to see where we stand with the cancer, and the whole spleen is overtaken, plus a tumor on her liver. He said probably she only has weeks to go.

I’m so grateful we had this time and we made the most of it but we are gutted now. I love that dog, literally love at first sight from her photo. What a blessing she has been, and such a mama’s girl. These next few weeks will be hard.

The vet said there is no real spleen tissue to hold together; it's all tumor, so it looks like when it ruptures that will be it. Ironically the tummy issue seems to be gone, which is why we went in the first place. So our little fantasy that she would just keep on truckin' was shattered.

I'm crying buckets.

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I feel your tears hitting my cheeks......

All Brooke knows is your love...and that is all she needs.
    OK..maybe some yummy steak for dinner and peanut butter for desert.

Hopefully the vet gave you some ideas on signs it is time and maybe some pain meds for when it is imminent.

Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    So really sorry to hear about Brooks condition - I feel with you :hugs

Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    OM Gosh. I just literally typed a post in your Brooke update thread. I am so very sorry, this is heartbreaking.

These weeks are so bitter sweet. You have precious moments to just hold her and love her, but no doubt it will be full of tears for what is to come. Whenever you want to get on and just vent your grief, or share the sweet moments please come on and talk to us.:hugs

Sharon7, Sandy in CT and KarenCurtis like this.
  5. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Sharon, I know words bring little comfort at a time like this, but I am so deeply sorry for the news you just got on your precious Brooke. The pain of facing losing a dog who is such a gentle and loving force in your life is beyond devastating. You have given Brooke everything any dog could wish for and most especially you have given her your heart. Thankfully Brooke has no idea what the vet has told you...for her each new day with you will be life as it should be. We, who love these incredibly special souls, are the ones who suffer the dread and the sadness of what we know lies ahead. May you find strength to shoulder that pain and make each week that Brooke has left filled with all the things that bring her the greatest joy.
    With many hugs, Trini

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Hanne, Sharon7, RikyR and 4 others like this.
  6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I AM SO SORRY!!! Brooke has been so lucky to have you as her mom! She's had such a good life with you, and you have been so fortunate to have her.

Sharon7 and Sandy in CT like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh Sharon,
    I am so sad reading your post on Brooke’s current condition! My heart just breaks for you. I know you felt she was doing better and her demeanor seemed promising. To be faced with this new reality is beyond heartbreaking.

Virtual hugs to you and your family... especially to dear Brooke.
    Each day will be more precious than the next... hold her, cuddle her, kiss her... softly tell her how much you love her. It is the only thing left for us to do at this time.

I will hug my dogs extra specially today thinking about Brooke.

I am so very sorry. It is so hard when we come to this stage of our pets life. Sending you strength and compassion at this difficult time.

We at SN are here for you!

KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    OH Sharon, I am so very sorry hearing this update on Brooke! I was so hoping you'd have so much more time with her:cry:.

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    My heart breaks for you, Sharon. We all know this day is coming, and cope by pretending it's the far-off future but it comes in spite of our best efforts to keep them with us. It just isn't fair that our dogs can't have longer life spans. You've been blessed with Brooke and these few good months which make it all the more difficult now. Try to dwell on those months now. We are all here, holding you up as you walk this journey. Sending you comfort and love.

Hanne, KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and 4 others like this.
  10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I am so sorry to read your news about Brooke.