Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Brooke returns to Nosework

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Well we had made the decision to return to Nosework with Brooke tonight. She was so bummed to be left behind when I took Faith the last couple of Tuesdays. She's been doing so well physically that we decided to go with the quality of her life to guide us, rather than just fear.

She did great! Did not miss a step! And the instructor (whose own Lab passed away from the same disease) was so pleased. She definitely has a soft spot for Miss Brookie.

We tested all the dogs on odor only tonight - usually it is paired with the food, to help them make the association. The instructor thought they were ready for this little test to see if they understood they were to search for the odor, and I am proud and happy to say both Faith and Brooke found it, and rather quickly! My DH and I had such big smiles on our faces! Brooke didn't want to leave the search area at all, LOL.

I don't know how much longer she has but she is living her best life (within reason) so it makes all of us happy. :) :love:

Ann, Calliesmom, GlennR and 3 others like this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    oh Sharon7 it warms my heart to read such a nice post about how well it goes with your litle Brooke :hugs

Sharon7 and Calliesmom like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I second Hanne, it just warms my heart to read this post about Missy Brookie enjoying her class!

I am sure just not being with you causes her stress and going to class brightened her mind and mood.

Quality of life is everything! You are so sensitive to her needs and mental and physical state. We know she is in good hands!

Keep up the great work! Give sweet Brooke a hug and kiss from us!:hugs:):love:

4. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Sharon, happy update. :)

Dogs, unlike we humans, live in today. You are making Brooke's todays happy and for her that is all that matters. I know for you this time is bitter sweet but cherish every day and it sounds like Ms. Brooke will be here for a lot more good times. She loves life and is a strong lass...but most important of all she has a family that loves her with all their hearts and will make every precious moment count.

Sending many hugs, Trini

Hanne, Sharon7, Calliesmom and 2 others like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    So eloquent and so true!

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm so happy Brooke is enjoying life and that you decided to take her along to your nose work class. Live each day to the fullest!

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Trini, this brought me to tears. Thank you for your support and insight. We feel we are doing the right things for Brooke.

Calliesmom likes this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Thank you for your always upbeat and thoughtful support, Gloria. It means a lot as we try to balance our new reality.

ghggp and Calliesmom like this.