Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Brooke update

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Sharon7, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Starting a new thread as the title of the old one sears my heart. She is stable today, gums much pinker. She is quiet and subdued though. Does not appear in any pain or discomfort, just tired. I hope it's just the anemia but I don't know. She's eating and drinking and pottying normally. Sleeping quite a bit but she still follows us around some too.

I don't know how much time we have bought but I hope we can get through this week as I am having to address some health issues myself (not super serious). I spoke with my vet and she thought average survival time might be 1 - 3 weeks. Although she has another dog patient who has been stable on the chinese meds for over 2 months.

So grateful beyond words that I retired Dec 27 and now I don't have to worry about leaving her for work. Hubby and I will tag team any errands that need doing.

Today I'm cooking the Thanksgiving turkey that I never did on the holiday (I was working) so she will get the boiled up liver to help boost her, and I've been giving her bone broth which she loves. She also ate her Sunday eggs with gusto. She is such a trooper. Did I mention I love this dog?

2. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    What a good girl! If you have eating, drinking, pottying, and walking around (even a little), you have the basics. It's good to hear that she doesn't appear to be in any pain, and that someone can be by her side 24/7. :hugs

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    So glad to hear this. Prayers continue for more time with your precious girl. Give her a pat for me, and thanks for the update, Sharon. Take care of you, too. This is a very stressful and tough time. :hugs

ghggp likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    So glad to hear that you are home and Brooke is resting comfortably. Sheltie Hospice can be very beautiful.

ghggp likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    So glad to hear this news also! Yes, we know how much you love and adore Brooke! It is certainly a blessing that you are retired now and can focus on her needs. Praying you get the longer timeline with these new meds on board. Sorry to hear you are dealing with medical issues yourself. Hope it resolves soon. Give Brooke and kiss and pat from us!

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    She's continuing to do so well that it's hard to know she is sick. Getting so many treats and attention. Our vet nixed the idea of Nosework class, I thought it might be OK because it's not strenuous, but I think lifting her in and out of the car is potentially dangerous for re-bleeding. Our instructor weirdly enough had her Lab pass away from the exact same cancer; she had tons of that Chinese med left over so she gave it to us - what a kindness. My retired vet who is a friend, said he's seen dogs do OK for months, so we really have no idea if her time is as short as we first thought.

The liver is very friable tissue so as the cancer eats through a blood vessel, that's what causes the bleeding, and as the tumor fills with blood it can eventually rupture which is fatal. Probably more than you want to know about it.

We cancelled our dog-sledding vacation for next month, hoping she will still be here with us. Thank you to everyone for the support and comforting comments. It is really a hard road to travel.

KarenCurtis, Piper's mom, Ann and 2 others like this.
  7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Sharon, what a wonderful update...cherish every day with your precious Brooke as I know you will.
    Gentle hugs to both of you. Trini

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Wonderful news Sharon that Brooke is doing so much better!
    You and Brooke are in my thoughts and prayers that she continues to do well :hugs

ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Sharon, I am just catching up on the forum. My heart is aching for you.

I am very happy to read that Brooke is alert, eating and feeling comfortable. I know you will spoil her like crazy and love her for as long as you can. Hug all your pups tight.

10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    You're still on my mind and I pray that Brooke has many more happy days with you and your clan. <3