Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Brown Fur on a Bi-Black

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Elei, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Kip, who is a very shiny bi-black, has some brown fur behind both ears, his 'armpits', and some on his belly. Everywhere else his coat is super glossy black + white. Does this sound normal?

I don't think the brown is dirt - he just had a bath yesterday and is squeaky clean. I've never had a black dog before, so I'm kind of puzzled by the brown fur. His coat and skin seems quite healthy.

By the way, Kip is now 6.5 months old and weighs 20 lbs!

Hanne likes this.
  2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    A lot of times the rust coloration can be genetic. Some people speculate it’s related to food (specifically beets) but anecdotally I know of several dogs that doesn’t apply to.

You can try using a sunscreen (like Chris Christensen Ice on Ice) and it might help.

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Jocu has some brownish areas- mostly after he's been out in the sun and he's a sun worshipper:winkgrin:

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Same as Callie - any brown/reddish areas were from the sun - Faith LOVES to sunbathe. I imagine sun is pretty darn strong in Hawaii, but it's interesting that corbinam has heard of it being hereditary. I always learn something new on this forum!

5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Same here with Brodie! Mainly behind the ears but this Fall when he was out a ton he got a bit on his rump too. I don't bathe often, not sure how often to, but I have bathed twice now with Bio-Groom Ultra Black and Espree Bright White shampoos. I was using Ice on Ice for grooming but Ann suggested Cloud Star with water and Peppermint drops for summer time. Apparently too much of the Ice on Ice can build up on the fir, attracting dust and dirt. I did check out his Fromm food for the beets mentioned above and it's not there, so I would assume Brodie's 'rust' is a bit of he loves the outdoors. I had mentioned it to his breeder wondering if it was genetics but she said his line has stayed black and she was quite surprised so I guess he is the oddball.

6. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    No beet pulp in Kip's food. I feel like he isn't out in the sun a ton, because he doesn't like the heat and hangs out in the shade. But I get sun burnt all the time, so I guess he could be too.

For a black and white dog, is it ok to use black shampoo on his white fur too?

Sandy in CT likes this.
  7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Sca was a tricolor but rusted in the summer some. Ice on Ice helped a ton. I always use White on White works on all colors I have tried.

Hanne likes this.
  8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I would not. I would use the black shampoo first on just the black parts then follow up with white shampoo on the white parts.

Ann likes this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    there are some black dogs that don't get the rusty color no matter how much time they are in the sun so I do believe that there is a genetic component.

Hanne and Ann like this.
  10. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    I believe it is genetic. Zulu has a light rusty color that you can see all the time. Depending on the angle of light, it can be more easily seen. I love it.

Hanne likes this.