Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bump: ever see anything like this before?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by k9kreationz, Jun 11, 2019 at 3:07 PM.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I put this here since this isn't on a Sheltie. I have a vet appointment set up, but they're booked until the 21st. Figured I'd see if anyone here has ever seen something like this. It's somewhat new as we're diligent about looking for bumps on this pup.

I wasn't sure who else to ask since you guys are my go to people. And this is why I can't have any other type of dogs but Shelties. :) <3

Attached Files:

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    could be a histiocytoma....never seen once that color (Gavin has had quite a few).
    Where is it?
    If that is what it is, it usually goes away on its own over a few weeks/months.
    Hot compresses can help..
    A vet might take a needle biopsy if/when you go in. Or they might tell you to wait.

3. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    It's on her side, like on the flank, rib, etc. I guess I am more worried about waiting the 2 weeks for an appointment (I can go to my old vet, but I'd like to stay with the same vet).

And that's what I kind of thought too, which then I'm okay waiting 2 weeks. Of course, I read this: "Any dog can be affected by these masses but some breeds are predisposed. Labrador Retrievers and Boxers, for example, make the short list." The dog in question is a 9yo Boxer. :(

Thanks for the feedback. :)

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    We've had almost every kind of bump you can think of. This looks like some that Checkers has had. Is this bump hard? Does it move? Is it on top of the skin or can you feel anything underneath it? Is it discharging anything?

The ones Checkers have had like this have been a type of cyst that the vet expressed. They are not serious. She's had one on her shoulder and one on her hind flank. You should be fine waiting the two weeks unless you see it's getting bigger. Then I'd call and ask if you can get in sooner.

Hanne likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I would definitely get that checked out. Beckon had a histiocytoma, and though it was benign, it did require surgery.

6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin has had about 6 histiocytomas over the years, all self-resolved. Hot compresses seemed to work (with or without castor oil)

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Yep Deska used to get a warty spot like that all the time. Many years ago he had a grass seed in this one spot and then years later he had a recurrent warty growth in that same spot which would sometimes come off, although as he got older it stayed there. It never bothered him and the vet never did a biopsy (although she did check it). Lucky our dogs have a long coat to cover it.

KarenCurtis likes this.