Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Butler Door

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Ron Atkinson, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    We have a butler door between the kitchen and dining room (door swings both ways). The kitchen has linoleum flooring,the dining room has carpet.I want him to be able to go back and forth. Right now he does a low volume whine when he can't get back through. I have taught Teddy to go kitchen to dining room(Does that easily) but he can't seem to get dining room to kitchen.
    Teddy has seen the cats do it. Today, I got down on all fours and did it with my head.(nothing) Put dabs of peanut butter on floor in kitchen, he ate what he could reach with his tongue under the door and nothing more. One of my wife's cats came through the door and ate the rest.
    I am running out of ideas does anyone have any suggestions?

Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Can you try putting the peanut butter on the door and the inside where the door meet? Then he would have to push the door with his nose as he licks the peanut butter off?
    Maybe try putting his leash on and go to the opposite side and lure him with a tiny bit of peanut butter on the end of a stick poking in between the closed doors as you lightly tug on the leash?
    Or walking back and forth going from room to room with his leash on at a heal position? The repetition with you might build his confidence?

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Does Teddy know touch? It’s an easy trick to teach…I was thinking of Treiball and how you teach the dog to push a ball. It all starts with touch and perhaps you could work on getting him to push the door open, I’d start by getting him to touch the door and rewarding that eventually only rewarding for a push and ultimately rewarding ONLY when he pushes and goes through the door. Clicker training would work great for this to shape the behaviour. You could also use the lid of a yogurt container taped to the door (after he knows touch) for your target and then phase that out.
    Something easier might be using a push pin and a thin rope (or yarn or twine) under the door that you could pull on when Teddy is on the other side, perhaps just having the door ajar and some encouragement could get Teddy to push the door open the rest of the way and get used to it. I was thinking just a thin piece of yarn because you don’t want a heavy rope you might trip on!

forgot to add that I love your ingenuity in getting down on all fours just like Teddy! Finnie when he’s stuck in a room he’ll use his nose to open the door. Blueberry will whine and bark and ultimately jump on the door effectively shutting it tighter:ROFLMAO:! Good luck on the training!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Mine are also experts about nosing doors. They seem to learn from each other. I'm surprised Teddy hasn't picked it up from the cats. I wonder if there's a reason he's cautious about that particular door, or direction. All good suggestions here....my first try would be putting his food bowl with dinner on the other side of the door. If he's a typical Sheltie food hound, that might be enough to make him work to get through it. Just a thought!

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Now that’s thinking like a Sheltie! I love it lol!

KarenCurtis, ghggp, Ann and 2 others like this.
  6. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    These are great I will keep working with him. He does know touch. When he goes kitchen to dinning room he uses nose left shoulder, and goes through. When dining to kitchen he lightly touches and in the past the door swings back a little and smacks him in the nose lightly.
    When I did all 4s all I ended up getting was my face washed :)

Sharon7, Margi, ghggp and 3 others like this.
  7. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    He's a sheltie!!!! He's probably saying to the cats... 'watch what I can get dad to do".... :)

Sharon7, RikyR, ghggp and 4 others like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Too funny!!!

Sharon7, Ann, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    :yuckyuck
    Good point!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

10. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow opens doors but only if she is invited. If we tell her it's okay to come in, then she just noses it open and walks in. If we don't tell her it's okay, she just lays down and waits.

I'm sure you must have tried the simple approach with a super treat. You show him the treat, walk through the doors, sit down and call him.

Ron Atkinson, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.